"Do you think—"

"Fuck, I can barely stand—"

"Will you be home tomorrow?" I asked timidly over the garbled sounds around him as he fumbled through his words, I stepped out of the tub and tiptoed to the mirror.

A mess. I was a complete trainwreck.

"Probably the next day— well— I dunno yet, baby."

"I wish you were home now. I can barely function, and I have to head into work at five tomorrow."

"In the fuckin' morning? Fuck— dropped my smoke." He sounded distant, obviously stumbling around.

"No, in the evening. Do you think you can come home by the time I get off?"

"I'll—I'm gonna do everything that I can, baby. Say, how do ya— do you feel comfortable with Diego being 'round?"

With a frown, I sat myself down on the toilet seat and bounced my legs anxiously. "I don't want him too close, but I guess I wouldn't mind if—"

"I'll tell him to make sure he's watching you real good— better than before, okay? He's carrying too, so if any bad shit happens—"

"Are you sure I'll be safe?"

"Sure as the ten grand I'm paying him. Ah, there's my truck."

Ten fucking grand?

"I suppose that's— that's alright. Chris, are you okay?"

"Yeah!" I could feel his smile over the phone as he laughed at himself. "I locked my damn keys in the truck and I'm 'bout to pass the fuck out."

For the first time in what felt like years, I felt myself laugh. A soft sound that vibrated in the bottom of my throat, all the way up to my dull headache. "You're a dumbass, you know that?"

"The best kind though, ain't I?" He boomed out a joyful laugh.

"My kinda dumbass." With a deep breath, I stood from the toilet and faced my reflection in the mirror, allowing myself to see the genuine smile written on my face. "You get some rest and come home, Chris."

"Mmm, I will, baby girl. When I'm less drunk I'll give you a call and tell you what's— I let you know all about the plan."

Based on the long yawns and pauses between words I could tell he was on the verge of falling into a drunken slumber. "I love you, okay?"

"You too, sweetheart. I'm gonna call Diego before I'm out for good, okay?"

"Okay. Just do me a favor and ignore the voicemail I left you, alright? I'm gonna hop in the shower and get a good start on the day."

"You got it. I'll talk to you later, you fine-ass woman. Better think of me in the shower."

"Alright, you perv. I love you— bye."

"Love you, baby girl."

Things were going to be okay. I had to stop doubting him.

Things were going to be just fine.

Diego was indeed watching, and doing a good job at that. I had noticed him the moment I stepped out of the house to leave for Honeys. Comfortably sitting in his car to watch the house closely. To assure that I had seen him, he gave a quick smile and wave, starting up his car as I climbed in my own.

I couldn't deny that I was relieved to see him so close and attentive. He was ready for anything.

I could breathe now.