"You can't go wrong with tomato." A man behind me spoke, startling me with the deep bass in his aged voice.

Gasping out, I felt my body drain of color as I spun to see who was invading my space. "Excuse me?"

"Let me guess," The man, at least in his fifties, smiled a yellow grin, stuffing his swollen hands into his loose denim shorts. "You don't eat meat."

Without any desire to respond, I turned my back to him and returned to my browsing. There was no point in wasting any energy on a conversation with this total creep.

"Isn't it impolite to ignore someone who's talking to you?" He sneered, now closer to me than he was just seconds before. "Your waist is so small, I could bet money you're one of those vegetarian types."

A sickly feeling grew in my stomach, and I decided soup might not be the best choice for me tonight.

Standing tall, I stepped away from the rack and began long strides down the aisle. There was no way I was going to allow this creep to harass me, not in this state of mind. One comment alone was enough to send my heart crashing through my chest and my blood slow to a cold stop.

I couldn't handle anything at this point.

Everyone was the enemy.

I didn't stop walking until I had made my way to the back of the store where the frozen items were. Easy meals that even come with their own plates. A genius invention put to great use by yours truly. This section of the supermarket was a godsend.

As I reached for a box of my favorite frozen noodles, I caught sight of someone peeking into the aisle, hiding behind a display of potato chips.

Who the fuck was this creep?

The was no time to sit around and wonder why he was doing this, any time I give him could be enough for him to escalate. I had to leave.

Speeding away, I scanned the aisle around me, praying for someone to come to my rescue. For just one person to see that this man was still following me.

Faster.

My feet quickened as my bones turned to jelly, panic consuming all rational thought. Sweat pricked the nape of my neck, chilling my spine down to every little nerve as it contrasted with the heat burning over my skin.

Doesn't anyone notice?

What if he wants to hurt me?

"Stay away from me." I finally spoke out, reaching the front of the store that was lined with registers. People.

"Come on honey, I just want to say 'hi'."

Honey?

It was as if a trigger flicked in my head, a need to defend myself. Like there was a wildfire of terror consuming every muscle, every bone in my body. I was coasting on autopilot.

Utilizing this surge of energy, I took my basket with both hands and swung it into the side of his round belly. And as he shouted his angry slurs, I swung again to hit the side of his head.

And again.

Again.

"Hey!" A grocery clerk shouted behind me, taking hold of my arm before I could hit him again. "Ma'am!"

"He was- He-" I shrieked, spinning around to see that my outburst had attracted a small crowd.

People who could've helped.

They could've noticed if they just paid attention.

He was going to kill me.

"She just attacked me!" The old man shouted, red-faced and fuming as if my actions weren't justified. "Insane, that's what you are."