Meaningless But Useful

Chapter 84

Mistress Ki
Nevoria

Mistress Ki looked around the deserted road, quite anxious and weary that she had been instructed to meet in such a cast off place. What made it worse was the darkness of the winter night; if someone attacked her she could be caught off guard.The cold wind blew in her direction and raged against her that her teeth rang against each other.

However, in all that she was not discouraged because as a mother she would do anything to be reconciled with her lost son. He had to be somewhere and she could sense it without a doubt.

“Gu Huan?” She called to the shadow approaching her. “Is that you?”

“It is I. Forgive me for making you wait, I had to sneak from the manor and it took time.” Gu Huan had moved on, now with a household with wives and children, and an envied post as the Grand Physician in the imperial palace. What they once had was now but a memory.

“I enquired around the palace for help and the highest ranked woman in the harem is willing to help.”

Mistress Ki breathed out in relief. “That is good. She will meet us here?”

“I cannot stay and meet her with you. If she finds out that it is I that is also involved, she may refuse to help in order to avoid problems later on because I work there. Besides, I sent out a message that the person seeking help was a palace outsider since it was the only way they would show interest.”

“I understand. Thank you for your help, nevertheless.”

“What are you saying? It concerns a lost son of ours. It is my duty that I help you.” He patted her on the shoulder. “I will get going now, eh?”

“Go back safely.”

Mistress Ki had to wait for the next hour, freezing cold, but she was not wavered. She would wait for the whole night if she had to.

A sedan pulled by two large horses stopped by the tree at a distance. The servant directing the sedan had a lamp held up.

Mistress Ki did not hesitate to run over.

“You are the woman looking for her son?” The man held the reins in his hand and the lamp in another to see her face.

“It is I.”

“Get in,” he cocked his head to the curtain enclosing the sedan.

“Thank you, Mister.” Mistress Ki raised her skirt and took the high steps of the sedan before squeezing in.

Inside were two women both with their faces veiled, just leaving out their eyes. She assumed the elegantly dressed woman was the mistress and the other a court lady attending to her mistress.

“This servant greets My Lady.”

“It’s Her Highness,” the court lady corrected.

Mistress Ki smiled. What a fatal mistake she had just made by correcting her. They were three highnesses that were part of the Inner Court.

The Grand Dowager was old so it wasn’t her by the looks of it. Grand Consort Shu was well off with her son as the emperor and being the most favoured woman. It couldn’t be her too. That left only Noble Consort Qi, the oncoming empress.

“This servant greets Her Highness,” Mistress Ki bowed her head.

“You may sit comfortably and let us get to the point. What do you want?”

“This servant is looking for her son who was taken in by an Inner Court woman. Would Her Highness help find him?”

“How did you lose your son? That is such a horrible thing that could happen,” the Noble Consort sympathised.

Mistress Ki was teary whenever she thought of it. “When I became pregnant, I was still a palace maid and my mistress helped me hide it, then when my son was born, he had to leave the palace because if we kept him, he would be discovered.” She wiped her tears. “My mistress promised to keep him at a safe place and that I would be reconciled to him after my loyal service to her. However, shortly after, she told he passed on due to measles. I was devastated and believed her, yet when I left the palace after my service I was told a different story when I went to ask for his remains. Apparently, he had been taken into the palace by a woman of status in the Inner Court.”

“You are not aware who the woman is?”

“This is what this servant would like to find out, Your Highness.”

“What year was he born?”

“In the year that the emperor was born is when this servant became with child.”

“And when did they take him?”

“About half a decade later.”

“Hao. I will investigate the books of slaves to see what slaves were registered into the palace in that year.”

“Your Highness is kind. This servant is humbled by your good deed.”

“Let us not waste any more time.” She was restless to be back in the palace before it was discovered she sneaked out. “What is the information you said you would give me in exchange?”

“Your Highness, this information is meaningless as the person has died but it could still be of use.” King Tobba was dead. Li Lian was dead. Therefore, Mistress Ki did no harm to share what she knew.

“Tell me.”

“This servant is sure that Her Highness knew Imperial Concubine Wei.”

“She was a friend.”

“Your Highness, Wei Li Lian was a spy, her real name was Le-anne of the Tobba clan in Huticah.”

“Shénme?”

“This servant will tell it all to you.”

~Author's Note~

So why do I use the word "harem" while sometimes I say "Inner Court" woman? Does it matter?

Yes, it does.

When I say harem I mean only the women that are His Majesty's concubines and consorts, the women he takes as his for the bed to be more precise.

While Inner court women involves all women. For example, palace maids, Court ladies, the elders like Grand Consort, Grand Dowager, plus the consorts and concubines.

S.V