Please...

You are allowed to be angry. I don't know what I am doing too, although I know where I'm going.

Chapter 81

Wei Li Lian
Black Sword Academy

Li Lian loved the person she had become. A week ago, Master Oren told her that her father died.

King Tobba is gone, an assassin  killed him.

She should be mourning for him and putting on white clothes in honor of his life, however there she was, rather concerned about stealing the letter Ruo Xi received the previous day.

King Tobba did not deserve a single tear from her, he did not deserve to be missed because her life is what he stole. To say it literally, before he died, murder is what he had committed against her.

Li Lian fixated her eyes on Ruo Xi. She desperately needed the letter, to just see it and feel a little closer to Yuwen Hong so she could exorcise the demons responsible for her heartache.

Ruo Xi rose from her mat and stretched. “I think I will start my afternoon training. Lance, are you coming?”

Lance yawned from the mat he shared with Li Lian on the deck of the academy where they sprawled like lizards seeking warmth. They had the blazing fire in the middle of the deck to warm themselves up while enjoying the outside fresh air.

“I will stay here and sleep with my wife for a while longer.”

“Suit yourself." Ruo Xi stood.

“Wait, Ruo Xi,” Li Lian called, not wanting her to leave. “May I just see the letter, just for a minute, please?”

“No, sorry. When the emperor writes to me, it is confidential. You are my friend Li Lian, but I can't comply with your request." She cleared her throat. "I am not comfortable with giving away what has been entrusted to me without his permission." She skeptically eyed Lance, who had his body clinging to Li Lian possessively. "That would be treating him deceitfully.”

Something told Li Lian  there was more to her words than she was letting on. Ruo Xi and her were getting better until Lance started to spend more time with Li Lian in  Ruo Xi's presence.

It resulted in Ruo Xi becoming distanced and unwilling to make an effort with Li Lian, which was unsettling. Did Ruo Xi like Lance and Li Lian was messing it up?

“I understand,” Li Lian resigned as Lance curled his arm around her waist and patted her stomach.

Li Lian wanted to know how Yu'er was doing. Did he kill people after the massacre? Had he moved on yet? Did he think of her as much as she did?

“Should I be jealous? You seem quite disappointed over a mere letter,” Lance eyed her suspiciously.

Why would he be jealous? She was the one struck with jealousy.

Yuwen Hong was writing his feelings to Ruo Xi and the woman would not show her the letter. Surely, friendship this deep cannot exist between a man and a woman, without either of them having feelings for the other. Even with her, Yu'er had never opened up before; she had with her heart, but not him.

“Why do you care about what the mean emperor wrote in that letter anyway?”

“Lance, please keep quiet.” She was annoyed already.

“Li Lian!” Kong Cheng ran to the deck. “Li Lian!”

“Yes?”

“I suddenly got an idea." He tried to catch his breath as he climbed the stairs. "I was thinking… What if when you get back to the palace, you ask the emperor on my behalf that I enter the palace as a guard?”