Chapter 33

When I take a seat next to Nico on the grass on our front lawn, I can tell he already knows what's going on. His lips hold a smile but the disappointment lingers in his eyes as he tosses a piece of grass to the side.

He stretches out his arms dramatically, pasting a wide grin onto his face before he speaks. "Man, I'm tired of this place," he says, nudging me so I know he's okay.

For once, I just give him a smile. "I'm sorry, Nico."

"Don't be," he says immediately. "Seriously, you letting me stay here has been more than enough."

I know it has but I still hate that he has to leave. He has somehow worked himself inside me and stuck there. "Are you gonna go back home?" I ask.

He kind of inhales and then starts to nod slowly. "Yeah, I mean, I have to try."

"If there's anything I can do to help you, I'll do it," I tell him.

"I appreciate it, Jennie," he says. I nod and it goes silent between us. His eyes flicker to my lips and I can tell we're both thinking the same thing.

"Can your dad see us right now?" he asks and my face flickers with confusion.

"What? No, I think he's in the shower right-"

Before I can finish, he swoops forward and catches my lips in his. This kiss is more what a first kiss should be like: soft and sweet. He moves to the corner of my lips as if unsure of whether or not I want this. When I press closer into him, he brings his mouth to the center of my lips.

The last kiss was one of need, like floodgates that finally burst open. This kiss is one of thought. Every motion, every touch is intentional. The last one was a splurge of emotions. This one is infuriating buildup.

Heat starts to travel down my entire body as he urges my mouth open, running his tongue over my bottom lip, and an embarrassing whimper escapes my mouth. I can feel his smile as he wraps his fingers lightly around my neck and pulls away. An unsated sigh sits in me as my lips are once again met with empty air.

His eyes are cloudy when they look into mine. His hands remain on my neck as a dangerous smile crosses his lips. "Better than fifth grade," he murmurs with a grin and stands up, offering me his hand.

Slight surprise fills me as I take his hand and stand up. He remembers that? Interlacing his fingers in mine, he keeps his eyes on me.

"Better than fifth grade," I agree.

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter! Love u all and see u next week :)