Chapter 1

My designated high school playlist, accurately named "I hate this place," blasts in my earphones as I stare straight ahead. I intentionally try not to make eye contact with anyone as I stalk down the halls of the junior class building.

"Jennie!" A melodic voice calls for me above my music. My best friend, Samaya, runs up from behind me and links her slim, mocha arm in my pale one.

If anyone else were to run down the halls of our high school, they would probably get laughed at, but when Samaya does it, it's reminiscent of a romance movie scene where the female protagonist runs in slow motion in a meadow of dandelions with the wind blowing in her hair.

"I was calling your name from across the hall!" she exclaims breathlessly. "Didn't you hear me?"

Pulling my earphones out, I shake my head in response.

"You have a hearing problem," she declares, flipping her super long brown hair out of her face like she's in a shampoo commercial.

"I think I've just blocked out your voice," I joke and she pouts in response.

"I will ignore this particular comment because I NEED to tell you what Jake did on our date last night," she starts when a new voice interrupts her.

"You're so damn loud, Samaya. I can hear you from my locker." I smile as my boyfriend, Brian, appears and presses a kiss to my cheek.

Samaya doesn't back down. "Well, maybe if your girl got her ears checked once in a while, I wouldn't have to talk loudly."

"I think her ears are perfect," Brian says, ignoring Samaya as she pretends to gag. He turns to me, letting his curls fall into his eyes. "You need a ride to Kenzie's tonight?"

"I can't go. I have to finish my portfolio by Monday, remember?" My art portfolio is far from perfect and my deadline is coming soon. Well, not super soon, but if I'm not ahead, I'm behind.

"Oh, right. You still down to grab food tomorrow?" Brian asks and I nod. He ruffles my hair before jogging away to meet his friends.

"You're not coming to Kenzie's tonight?" Samaya asks, her full bottom lip shaping into a pout.

I shake my head. Not only do I not have time but Kenzie is a senior who is always trying to start drama. Last time I went to one of her parties, she was ganging up on some tiny freshman with five other senior girls. I'm not trying to get involved in that.

"But you're letting Brian go without you?" she asks.

I shrug as we approach my locker. "I mean, I don't have a reason not to. I trust him"

Samaya rolls her eyes dramatically. "You're too nice to him."

I unlock our locker in one swift move and start to place my books in. "It's not like he's going alone. And he always calls me after." I have other things to worry about than trusting my boyfriend who's done nothing wrong.

Samaya lets out a long sigh. "My best friend's growing up," she says with a fake sob, causing me to laugh. "Seriously, though. I'm so glad you're happy, Jen. We all have to grab dinner soon. Who knows, maybe he has a hot friend from New York to set me up with."

Brian moved from New York to California this past summer and Samaya has this fantasy about people from New York who wear suits 24/7 and look like they belong in Gossip Girl. I've seen pictures of Brian's New York friends.

They're unimpressive, to say the least.

Then again, I basically despise everyone based on first glance. Even Chuck Bass.

Speaking of people I despise, Nico Accardi sneaks up behind Samaya from seemingly out of nowhere and places his baseball cap on top of her head with a wicked grin.

Oh goody. Third-wheeling with Nico and Samaya.

"Ew, Nico! Your hat is so gross!" Samaya says with an eye roll but she keeps it on her head.

"At least it's covering your hair," he says with a smirk, running a hand through his messy locks. "Why don't you do your hair like your friend, Ellie?" Nico asks, referring to me without so much as a glance.

Ellie is another girl in the one class that I share with Nico. I look nothing like her.

"Her name is Jennie," Samaya corrects, rolling her eyes.

"Uh, huh." Nico nods dismissively. "So, Samaya, why don't you do your hair like hers?" he teases and touches one of the newly blond streaks in my brown hair.

"Don't touch my hair," I snap. A tiny bit of surprise flickers on his face as he looks at me for the first time as if it's shocking that someone doesn't want him touching their hair.

With a sigh, I turn to Samaya. "I'm gonna use the bathroom. You guys go ahead," I say. Neither of them protests as I walk away.

a/n: it's up! thank u so so much for reading. I'm sorry if this first chapter wasn't very interesting but it's background stuff yknow :) Don't forget to vote, comment, and/or follow it means the world to me :)