Chapter 14

Lena sends Kelly an email about her mother's progress. She can barely contain the happiness she feels. With absolute certainty she can say that she's never been this happy before.

Lena closes her laptop and fishes her phone out of her pocket. She presses on Kara's name and hits dial. The dialing tone sounds five times when Lena suddenly feels a rush of wind from behind her. She cancels the call and turns around with a smug smile.

"You called?" Kara smiles, not in the slightest looking as if she just travelled across an entire ocean.

"Isn't Alex going to be mad?" Lena crosses her arms and chuckles but Kara just shrugs.

"What she doesn't know won't hurt her."

Lena finds that she just can't stop smiling.

"How was your day?" Kara asks as she steps closer.

"Amazing." Lena breathes. "She really knows who I am, Kara. I- I have my mother back." She pauses. She still can't believe it. "And all those baby photos, my baby photos. This all just- it all seems too good to be true?"

"You deserve all the good things that are happening right now. Embrace them." Kara says sincerely.

Lena lets out a shaky sigh as she leans forward to close the distance and capture Kara's lips with her own. Her hands find their own way towards Kara's warm cheeks and she strokes the skin with her thumbs. Before she knows it, Lena's slowly pushed backwards until her back hits the wall and her neck is attacked with wet kisses. Her head falls backward a little, granting her more space. Lena groans at the sensation. They move frantically, both too wrapped up in the moment. Almost too wrapped up to hear the creaking sound of the bedroom door.

Kara pulls away a little and frowns at the sight of the open door.

"What is it?" Lena breathes, her gaze falling down towards Kara's lips again.

"I swear that door was closed when I got here."

Lena looks over Kara's shoulder and huffs.

"Well, someone left the window open when they arrived." Lena says pointedly. "It's probably just the wind."

Lena moves out of Kara's arms to close the door before walking over to the window to secure its lock. Kara's behind her in a flash, kissing the back of her neck and Lena closes her eyes. She promptly turns around to reclaim her lips.

The kiss grows deeper and Kara's hand slips underneath Lena's shirt.

"Wait." Lena whispers against her lips.

Kara pulls away immediately.

"Are you okay?" She looks at her with concern.

"Yes, I'm more than okay. It's just- my grandmother is sleeping on the other side of the hallway." Lena sighs deeply.

"Oh. Right." Kara's eyes widen.

"And the bed frame creaks obnoxiously loud. I'd rather not scar my entire family for life." Lena winks at her and Kara chokes on nothing. "I mean we don't have to use the bed, obviously-." Lena adds and smirks at the deepening blush she's witnessing.

Lena laughs and looks at Kara adoringly.

"How are things back home?" Lena softly asks after a moment of silence. She decides on a different subject altogether, before things escalate.

Kara sighs deeply.

"The same. It's been awfully quiet, actually. Still no sign of Lilian. It's almost like she vanished completely." She frowns.