Why Does It Matter

Dream was surprised when he saw that Sapnap was calling him. He accepted the call and brought his phone up to his ear.

"Hello?" Dream was wondering why his friend was calling him.

"Dream, what the hell is wrong with you?" The loud yelling startled the man.

"W-what?" Still laying on his bed, Dream was utterly confused about what was happening at the moment. Why was Sapnap yelling at him?

"George told me that you were ignoring his calls," he had calmed down a bit, no more yelling. "and that the only time you picked up, it sounded like you were fucking someone."

His eyes widened at the last part. He hit decline when George called him yesterday night, right?

"First of all, I'm ignoring his calls because he said he wanted to have a break." It was true, George did say he needed some time without him. "Second of all, I never picked up any of his calls. I also didn't fuck anyone." That last part was a lie, of course.

"Uh-huh, you sure about that? Then who's Lucas? Can you tell me that, Dream?" There's no way they knew the name of that man. The man Dream had sex with on his couch.

"But I didn't answer his call. I declined, I'm sure." His heart began to race, and it wasn't a good thing. He wandered off into his thoughts, hoping that this was all just a dream.

"So you did fuck someone?" Sapnap returned to his harsh voice. "What if I did? Why does it matter, Nick?" He was silent, probably in shock that Dream had used his real name.

Nothing came from Sapnap's end of the phone. The only noise heard was a sigh.

"Call George." Those were the last words that came from his friend before the call ended. Dream took his phone away from his ear.

If they knew what he did yesterday night, does that mean he hit accept instead of decline when George called him? A wave of embarrassment flooded Dream. George heard his whimpers and him calling out the man's name.

Dream rubbed his eyes with the palms of his hands. How could he mix up the accept and decline button? They were two different colors, for God's sake!

Grabbing his phone, Dream scrolled through his contacts, looking for a certain one.

"Call George."

His finger hovered over the name when he found it. Hesitantly, Dream clicked on the call button. To his surprise, the sound of ringing quickly stopped, meaning that George had picked up.

"Hey, GeOrge," his voice cracked a bit in the middle of saying George. Dream cleared his throat, hoping he didn't hear his little moment.

"Hey Dream," George spoke in a brittle voice, kind of quiet as well. "Did you have fun last night?"

There was a sharp pain in Dream's stomach as if he had just gotten shot. He tightened his grip on the blanket underneath him. He didn't expect George to ask him about it so quickly.

"Listen, George, I didn't mean to hit accept. And I know it was rude of me to not answer your calls in the first place. I just wasn't ready to start talking to you again. I have so much going on in my mind and I had to refrain from talking to you." Dream looked around his room, trying to remember if he had anything else to say.

The brunet seemed to be taking his sweet time to respond. But that was when Dream thought of something else to say.

"Tell me, George, why does it matter if I had sex with someone? It really isn't your job to get mad at me. Or Sapnap's! It's my life, I get to do what I want." Dream spoke harshly, not caring if he hurt his feelings. He was right, why did it matter so much to his friends?

George was still saying nothing. Dream stared at the phone in his hand. A white symbol told him that his friend was muted.

'That explains why I didn't hear anything.'

"You're muted." Still, he was met with the same silence. All that talking and George didn't even respond.

"I'm sorry, I have to go now," he finally spoke back to Dream. There was a lot of noise in the background, mostly people talking.

"What do-" He couldn't get out the full sentence before George hung up. Dream was left with silence once again. He was tempted to throw his phone, but then he remembered that he had recently fixed it.

The silence had disappeared with the grumble of his stomach. Sighing, he got up from his bed and walked into his bathroom to brush his teeth.

——————————

His fridge was completely empty and so was his pantry. Dream would have ordered food, but he has been eating junk food for the past few days. He grabbed his car keys and wallet.

The drive to his local grocery store was slow due to the traffic. The sun was close to setting, alarming that it was the afternoon.

'No wonder there's traffic.'

He parked his car perfectly in the parking lot, not too far away from the store.

Wheels squeaked as Dream pushed the cart. He grabbed what he needed to make basic food for the next few days and went to a cashier.

Dream left the store after paying for his items. The sun could no longer be seen, as well as the moon. He opened up the trunk of his white truck and put it in his bags.

The traffic seemed to die down, so it didn't take long to get back to his warm home.

As he pulled up to his apartment complex, Dream noticed something on his doorstep. He parked somewhere near his apartment and locked his car.

Walking up to his door, he realized that it wasn't something, it was someone. The person had fallen asleep on their luggage and was slightly snoring. Dream's eyes widened as he saw the familiar face sitting on the steps.

"George?!"