Chapter 14 • Ride of the Ice Cream Truck

❤︎

Taking the car, the three of them drove to an obscure and empty road where they could meet with Hazel and Cha-Cha. The deal was simple, convince them to call The Handler and Five would give them their briefcase back. Of course the real one was destroyed (courtesy of Klaus after he returned from the past) so Five fashioned a fake one, a lookalike that would fool them to give them enough time to talk to their employer.

The drive was silent but there was no awkward tension. With Luther driving, Five in the passenger seat and (Y/n) in the back, there wasn't any conversation made but it was probably preferred by all of them. (Y/n) scrolled through Instagram on her phone while they drove, zoning out from the world.

When they turned the corner to the road they were supposed to meet on, Luther drove a little farther down before stopping on the side of the road. Five unbuckled his seatbelt and (Y/n) put away her phone, Luther's large frame couldn't even fit a seatbelt on so he didn't bother with one. They all scanned the area for anyone or any cars, making sure they were completely alone for this.

Then the teenage boy suddenly sighed.

"You know, I never enjoyed it."

Luther looked over to Five. "What?"

"The killing. I mean, I was... I was good at my work, and I... I took pride in it. But it never gave me pleasure." Five confessed.

(Y/n) tilted her head as she crawled over on top of the breifcase and inbetween the two men in the front.

"I think it was all those years alone. Solitude can do funny things to the mind."

"Yeah, well, you were gone for such a long time. I only spent four years on the moon but that was more than enough. It's the being alone that breaks you." Luther affirmed as he stared at the steering wheel, remembering how lonely and cold his time on the moon was.

"Being alone for so long can cause you to do things, good and bad. It was only me, Reginald, Grace and Pogo after you left, Luther." (Y/n) jumped in, the two of them looking back at her. "Actually... believe it or not, I did leave at some point after you left."

"You did? Where did you go? And why did you come back?" Five purked up.

Leaning over into his seat more, (Y/n) looked into his piercing green eyes.

"Because it turned into the worse decision of my life."

She leaned back and said nothing else, signaling that coversation was over so Luther changed the subject.

"You think they'll buy it?" He asked, putting his arm over the case.

"Well, what I do know is that they're desperate. It's like a cop losing his gun. If the Commission finds out, they'll be in deep shit. Oh, not to mention the fact that they'll be stuck here until they get it back." Five replied.

"Well, I should hold onto it."

"Why?" (Y/n) wondered.

"In case they make a move on him." Luther pointed his thumb over to Five.

"Okay, Luther, but be careful. I mean, I've... I've lived a long life--"

"Most of which was in solitude in the apocalypse." The girl interrupted.

"I've still lived a life! But... you're still a young man. You got your whole life ahead of you. Don't waste it." Five told Luther, who was staring at him with a strange look. Granted, he was talking to his 58 year old brother who still looked 13. The dark haired boy hummed as the sound of a nearby car approached from the other side of the road. The three in the car immediately took notice.