Chapter 12 • Number Five

❤︎

WARNING: Blood mentioned

❤︎

The car ride was silent, uncomfortable, and overall depressing. Diego had finally stopped crying and drove the two of them back to the gym. Clutched in his hand was the receipt that belonged to the people who took Klaus and killed Patch. (Y/n) sat, unmoving, in her seat and her tired eyes trailed on the road. Daylight was showing and began to light up the wet road.

Her mind wandered back to the motel room, Patch, and Klaus. If Patch was dead and Klaus was gone, there was a high definite chance that the woman had saved him and died, shot by the very kidnappers of Klaus. (Y/n) wished she had the chance to thank Eudora Patch. Hopefully, Klaus was somewhere safe and would come home soon. She hoped he was okay.

Diego's sadness faded into blind anger, he was holding onto the steering wheel so hard that if he didn't have his gloves on, (Y/n) knew his knuckles would be turning white. He was so angry, and the reason? He knew who killed one of the only people in his life that believed in him. The names on the receipt told him everything, and now he was driving back to the one person who brought him into this mess. And (Y/n) knew exactly who he was thinking about.

The moment the car pulled into the parking lot, Diego had already taken his keys out and stomping inside. The (h/c) haired girl quickly followed after him.

"Diego. Diego, slow down!" She yelled but the man ignored her.

He continued to angrily walk to his room in the boxing gym, and once he reached it, Diego slammed open the large metal door.

"Piece of shit." He mumbled as he entered.

"Diego, stop! He has nothing to do with this!" (Y/n) tried to reason.

"No, he has everything to do with this!" He screamed back. Diego marched up to the now awake and sitting up Five on his bed. "Do you have any idea what you just did?"

He was just about to attack the boy when Luther wrapped his arms around him to stop him. Diego wriggled around to get out of Luther's grasp but because his strength was nowhere close to his, he failed to get loose.

"No, let me-- get your ape hands off of me!"

To keep him away from Five, the blond man had to lift Diego up so his feet weren't even touching the floor. (Y/n) ran over in front of Five to protect him and the boy could have chuckled at the girl's attempt to protect him, even though they both knew he would be able to handle Diego on his own.

"I can do this as long as it takes you to calm down." Luther told the squirming man.

Diego panted at his attempts to escape but agreed with a, "Fine."

Luther let go of his brother and set him down on the ground.

"Now, wanna tell us what you're talkin' about?"

"Our brother's been pretty busy since he came back." Diego glared at Five. "He was in the middle of that shootout at Griddy's, and then at Gimble Brothers, after the guys in masks attacked the Academy, looking for him."

"None of which is your concern." Five bluntly stated, not fazed by the threatening man just a few feet away from him.

"It is now. They just killed my friend."

(Y/n) turned around to face the boy behind her.

"Who are they really, Five?" She asked.

Five hesitated to tell them all the truth, but finally let go. "They work for my former employer. A woman called The Handler. She sent them... to stop me. Then, as soon as Diego's friend got in their way, well, fair game."