Chapter 12 ❁ Unanswered questions

Song of the chapter: Love in the dark- Adele

The common room didn't see Draco's face for a month. November passed and the snow came down in blizzards but he never came out to socialize. 

After hours of overthinking when I'd gotten back to the common room Halloween night, I realized how in-the-wrong I had been to say something like that. I wanted to apologize, tell him I'd always be there for him no matter what but like I said before, he never came out anymore.

The silence from him had done only one good thing for me. It had let me focus on my studies and the increasing amount of danger I was in. I'd gone to see Dumbledore a few times but he never seemed to want to talk to me. It was this lack of information that sent me running up to the divination room on a Saturday afternoon.

I knocked a few times on the door to Professor Trelawney's tower and she answered almost immediately. I blushed hard, remembering the day Hermione and I had walked out of her class and never gone back.

"Miss Grey?" she said in a whispery voice. I had to dig my fingernails into the palm of my hand to keep myself from rolling my eyes, suddenly remembering why I'd stopped taking Divination.

"Hi Professor," I muttered. 

"Did you need something?"

"I was uh- hoping you could tell me a little bit about a certain prophecy."

She nodded once and let me into the heavily perfumed classroom.

"I'm guessing it is one about a witch who fits in all of the Hogwarts houses, am I correct?" she swooned, finally getting something right. I nodded, letting her continue.

"Yes well- I suppose it's you isn't it. I have always seen the way your story would play out in my minds-eye."

My eyes tried to see the inside of my skull yet again but I hid it with my hand.

"I always knew you'd be chosen by Mr. Potter. You'll fight with him until finally The Dark Lord kills you brutally," she said in a bored voice. 

Although I knew better than to listen my heart still began to beat faster.

"Maybe you could explain to me how to stay alive?" I asked, trying to stay calm.

"Oh- oh my dear girl. There is no way to stay alive. If the Dark Lord wants you dead then you most definitely will die," she began to sound sympathetic.

I only nodded and stood up to leave again. 

"Uh- Miss Grey!" she called.

I turned towards her again. "Yes?"

"It would be best to- move in- shall we say, with your enemy."

Confused I walked back to the common room. I stopped in front of the portrait hole.

"Pure-blood," I said, reciting the new password.

The snake-woman in the painting didn't move an inch.

"Excuse me! I said the password, may I please get into the common room now?" I asked, annoyed. She turned to look down at me.

"The password has been changed," she hissed.

"Veritaserum," a cool voice from behind me said. I spun to face the speaker and found myself gazing into Draco's cool eyes.

The portrait hole swung open but before Draco managed to get around me and go in I grabbed his hand and pulled him down the corridor.

"What do you want Grey?" he snarled, trying to break his hand free of my grasp.

I pushed him into an empty classroom and shut the door. He gave me an annoyed look.