Back Home

The police car pulled me into my drive way.

"Vivian, that's 5 times. This week, your mother is worried about you." I knew this cop. His name is Ed. He always brings me back here when I try to flee.

"I am fine. You don't need to bring me back, ya know." I spat back.

Ed just sighed as he opened my door. "Tell your mother I say hi."

"Uh-huh."

I climbed out of the car and walked across my dead lawn. As I opened my door, I saw my mother look up from her book and my step father stand up.

"Vivan! We were so worri-!" she tried to say before Doug cut her off.

"5 times! 5! I asked for one week without you running off! For what? Because kids at school call you weird? You can stand up to them. You are the one making yourself sad."

I glared at him. We have had this conversation before. 'You're making yourself mad.' he would scold. 'You aren't depressed'. Sometimes, I just want to slap him upside the head.

"Vivian. You okay, sweetie?" My mother cooed me.

"I am fine. I have told you guys a million times before, I am okay." I started up the stairs, but Doug grabbed my elbow.

"You are going no where. You are on restriction, no friends, no-"

"I have no friends! You don't know me, Doug! I have no friends, I am alone at school. No one talks to-"

"Do not cut me off. Go." he pointed up the stairs.

I gave him a devious smile and stomped up the stairs.

~~~~~

Later that night, I heard him talking to my mother in the kitchen.

"She is insane. I cannot allow this behavior anymore."

"Doug, she just needs time. Her father was her best friend. Now that he's...." she drifted off.

"I don't care about that! I know I am not a father to her, because she is not a daughter to me!" he yelled.

"If you want to be with me, you need to accept-" I heard a loud noise as she screamed.

I rushed into the kitchen. My mother was crying and had a big red mark on her face.

I stood there, silent. The silence seemed to drag on forever, with the tension raising at a high rate.

"What... what did you do..." I asked, mouth gaping.

"I did what I had to." Doug said with no shame. My mother looked up, eyes red and her cheeks stained with tears.

"Viv... go.... run before-"

"SHUT UP!" Doug slapped her again.

"NO!" I ran up to him and grabbed his arm. He shoved me into the counter, I hit my head. Hard.

Dizzily, I attempted to stand up.

"You are not part of this!" Doug was shouting at me.

"Run Vivian!!!" My mother called out.

I looked at the door. My escape. I looked at Doug, then my mother. She knew I couldn't take her with me. She couldn't survive out there, on her own. I took one last look at Doug, and he was about to hit my mother again.

I ran up to Doug and pounded my fist into his jaw. After a loud popping sound, he screamed in pain.

My mother ran to grab the phone.

"9-1-1?? Yes? Hello? Please! Come quickly! My husband is hitting me! And my daughter! Please!" she was sobbing at this point. "Yes! I.. yes- VIV! LOOK OUT!" she shouted past the phone.

I turned around to see Doug with blood pouring out of his mouth, and he had a knife. As he swung at me, I dodged behind the table.

I saw the door, and I knew it was my only chance. Police sirens were heard coming up my street.

I raced towards my escape, but Doug sunk the steak knife deep into my thigh.