[8] RUN GIRL, RUN.

125 miles, that's what lies ahead.
fort benning.

 DARYL HAD DITCHED the truck to siphon more fuel for the RV

DARYL HAD DITCHED the truck to siphon more fuel for the RV. he was now riding what use to be merle's motorcycle. lilac decided against riding with him and sat with glenn in the RV instead.

lilac and glenn learnt that they actually had similar interests. from movies to music; the two were quite similar and could talk about absolutely everything.

"i wonder what the sequels would of been like." lilac said to glenn as they were on the topic of starwars. "nothing can top natalie portman and hayden christensen though." glenn replied to his bestfriend. "true that my friend, true that." she said as the RV came to a stop.

"oh jeez, see a way through?" dale asked as daryl rode by the window, he nodded in response and lead the RV and rick's car through the packed highway.

not even a minute later the engine began sputtering before white smoke burst through the front stopping the vehicle completely. "i said it. didn't i? a thousand times. dead in the water." dale muttered as everyone made their way out of the vehicles and came round the front.

"problem, dale?" shane asked. "just a small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope of....okay,that was dumb." dale finished as he looked upon all the cars.

"if you can't find a radiator hose here.." shane started. "there's a whole bunch of things we can find." daryl interrupted. "i can siphon more fuel from these cars for a start." t-dog spoke up.

"maybe some water?" carol said. "or food." both glenn and lilac said at the same time. "jinx!" the said in unison pointing their pinkies out. "jinx again!" the repeated and went to speak again but lori spoke up; "this place is a graveyard. i don't know how i feel about this."

daryl didn't register what lori had said as his eyes were fixated on lilac and glenn. a weird feeling was prominent in the pit of his stomach but he shook it off as he began to wonder around the cars.

lilac walked off alone as she searched for anything useful. she found a few tops and a pair of trousers, but before she could look any further she felt a hand around her mouth and an arm bringing her under a car.

she turned her head in fright but her features softened when she saw it was daryl who rolled her under a car. he kept his hand over her mouth, with his other hand he brought his index finger to his lips then pointed to the road.

hundreds of feet were shuffling pass them. both of lilac's hands found their way to where daryl had his own covering her mouth. she held onto his hand for dear life as his arm was securely wrapped around her waist.

after some time daryl loosened his grip as he began to slowly slide himself out from beneath the car. "daryl!" lilac whisper yelled as she went to grab his arm. "ye stay 'ere and don't come out til i get ya." he harshly whispered as he climbed to his feet and ran somewhere.

lilac cursed to herself as she began to look around, her eyes locked with her brothers until the screams of sophia pierced through the air. lilac's eyes widened as she saw rick quickly roll from under his car and chase after the girl.

lilac also got out but stopped herself from following her brother when carl collided into her and wrapped his arms around her. "it's okay darling." lilac hummed as she picked him up and hoped for the best.

her heart ached upon hearing carol's cries for her daughter, and when rick returned with no sophia her heart ached beyond repair.

_____

"sure this is the spot?" daryl questioned rick as he was looking at the ditch by a river. "i left her right here. i drew the walkers off in that direction up that creek." rick said as he motioned to that direction.

rick had brought daryl, shane and glenn out into the woods to search for sophia, or even try to track a direction she went in.

"without a paddle, seems where we've landed." daryl said as he looked at every fine detail on the ground. "she was gone by the time i got back here. i figured she just took off and ran back to the group. i told her go that way, and keep the sun on her left shoulder." rick told everyone.

"hey short round!" daryl said aiming towards glenn; "why don't ya step off onto one side, ya mucking up the trail." he said glaring at the korean boy. glenn obliged and stepped back not wanting to hear anymore from daryl.

"assuming she knows her left from her right." shane spoke up. "shane,she understood me fine." rick huffed as he grew annoyed of his bestfriend's "input" to the situation.

"kid's tired and scared,man. she had her a close call with two walkers. got to wonder how much of what you said stuck." he reasoned but before rick could reply daryl spoke up; "got clear prints right here. she did like you said,headed back to the highway. let's spread out,make our way back." the group looked upon the ground as they began walking up their trail.

"she couldn't have gone far." shane said to rick with a puzzled expression. "hey,we gonna find her. she'll be tuckered out hiding in a bush somewhere." rick said.

"she was doing just fine till right here. all she had to do was keep going. she veered off that way." daryl said as he stopped walking and pointed to the opposite direction of the highway.

"why would she do that?" glenn finally asked joining in the conversation. "maybe she saw something that spooked her, made her run off." shane suggested. "a walker?"

"i don't see any other footprints. just hers." daryl said. "so what do we do? all of us press on?" shane asked as he grew tired of searching.

"no, better if you and glenn get back up to the highway. people are gonna start panicking. let them know we're on her trail doing everything we can. but most of all, keep everybody calm." rick said to shane. "also, keep an eye on lilac for me." rick said the final part to glenn.

daryl's head perked up hearing her name but quickly dropped soon after not wanting any attention. especially from her brother.

"i'll keep 'em busy scavenging cars. think up a few other chores. i'll keep 'em occupied. come on." shane said as he and glenn began to head to the highway. while rick and daryl carried on the search for sophia.

____

we get to meet maggie soon!!