[16] GUILTY.

LILAC DIDN'T MUTTER a word after pulling the trigger

LILAC DIDN'T MUTTER a word after pulling the trigger. walking away, lilac went into the RV. grabbing the first book she saw and immediately turning the cover. it was quiet for a while, lilac could almost hear her own thoughts.

it wasn't until carol stepped in, her face stained with tears. lilac stopped reading. carol gave a nasty glance towards her as she walked to the back of the RV. lilac understood carol was mourning, but lilac didn't bite her little girl, lilac ended the pain her little girl was in.

and lilac wasn't going to let carol make her feel guilty for that.

"i don't regret what i did carol." lilac said as she walked to where carol was sat. carol had an expressionless face, "i didn't kill sophia, i killed what was hurting sophia." lilac told her.

"that thing wasn't my sophia." carol spat. "i know. your sophia is currently waiting for her mom to attend her funeral." lilac said before walking out of the RV down to the barn.

lilac walked into her brother and a few others mid conversation. "you want us to start burying?" t-dog asked rick. "we're having a service." lilac announced. "carol needs that closure." lilac backed up.

"yeah, we all want that." t-dog assured. "let's—let's dig a grave for sophia, annette and shawn. over by those trees. and we'll need a truck to move the bodies." lori said to jimmy and the others. "i'll get the keys." he replied.

"no, no. i got the truck." shane told jimmy. "and the others? that's a lot of digging." spike jimmy. "we bury the ones we love, burn the rest." lilac told him with a stern expression.

_____

THE GROUP HAD BEEN sorting the bodies from the ones they burn and the ones they bury. the ceremony was short but sweet. carol didn't show up, lilac could tell daryl wasn't happy with carol's choice of coping. by now lilac knew the best way to comfort daryl was with actions not words.

as most of the group was stood by the graves of their loved ones. lilac intertwined her hand with daryl's. at first he flinched slightly, feeling awkward because he didn't know what to do. but after a few seconds he relaxed his hand and squeezed lilac's hands gently.

after the ceremony, daryl went down to his tent. he seemed to be putting distance between him and almost everyone in the group. lilac only hoped he wouldn't do the same to her. daryl had now set up his tent further away from camp, deciding to make his own camp.

not wanting to bother him. lilac stayed with lori. they hadn't spoke since the pharmacy trip, and the tension would only build up more. "i told rick." lori spoke up as the two walked beside each other towards the house. "he mentioned it." lilac responded keeping her gaze forward.

"lilac, i regret what i did to your brother. but i was grieving, i thought he was dead. it was wrong, but it happened. i'm the one who has to live with that." lori sighed. lilac turned her gaze to her, she saw how genuine she really was. in this world, it was too unpredictable to hold a grudge.

"i know." lilac nodded sending a small smile. lori knew that was lilac's way of letting it go and moving on. lilac wasn't one to hold a grudge, she liked to put the differences aside and move on. lori was thankful for that.

but their moment fell short. the sound of a plate smashing was heard from the house. both lilac and lori ran into the house, seeing the smashed plate. making their way upstairs they found maggie sat with beth who laid in a bed. "what's wrong with her?" maggie asked as she moved the strands of hair away from her face.

"she might be in shock. wheres hershel?" lilac asked. "we can't find him anywhere." glenn told his best friend.

______

RICK AND SHANE had joined lilac, lori, maggie and glenn in hershel's bedroom. "your stepmothers things?" rick asked maggie as he pointed towards the boxes on the bed. "he was so sure she'd recover. they'd just pick up where they left off." maggie sighed. "looks like he found an old friend." lilac spoke up as she held a flask in her hands.

"that belonged to my grandfather, gave it to dad when he died." maggie answered, lilac saw this as a special gift so she slowly put it back where she found it. "i didn't take hershel for a drinker." rick piped up. "no, he gave it up the day i was born. he didn't even allow liquor in the house." said maggie.

"what's the barn in town?" lilac inquired. "hatlins, he practically lived there in his drinking days." maggie told her. lilac turned to her brother, both of them nodding at each other. "that's where he'll be." lilac told everyone. "i've seen the place, i can take you. lilac, you better stay with beth." glenn said.

"why me?" lilac asked. "you uh, know things.. you're smart." glenn struggled to reply. "yeah, because i was a bloody detective not a doctor!" lilac snapped. glenn nodded, lilac had finally revealed her past job. "lilac i want you to stay here. be in charge keep everyone under control." rick said to her quietly. lilac nodded slowly.

"it's an easy run!" glenn pleaded to maggie who wasn't happy about him going. "like the pharmacy?" she snapped. "hey maggie, i'll bring him back." rick chuckled as he walked out of the room, glenn following. "they'll be back." lilac assured now it was just her and maggie in the room. "i'm just going to say bye to glenn, could you stay with beth till i'm back?" maggie asked. "ofcourse."

lilac stayed sitting on the bed beth was laid on. she was alone with the blonde girl for a maximum of ten minutes before maggie returned. "i told glenn i love him." maggie blurted out as she sat on the chair opposite lilac. "you what?" lilac questioned slightly shocked. "he didn't say it back. he's just shocked right?" maggie asked anxiously. "i'm not the best person to ask about relationships." lilac laughed. "what about daryl?" maggie asked as lilac took a sip of water.

almost chocking on it in the process. "what about me and daryl?" lilac asked. "i see the way you look at each other." maggie smiled.

_____

"SHOULDN'T THEY BE back by now?" lori asked lilac who was still sat with maggie. lilac looked to the clock on the wall, her and maggie had been in such deep conversation they had lost track of time. "we could ask someone to check town?" maggie suggested. "i'll be back." lori said before walking out of the bedroom.

after ten minutes had past, lilac could tell maggie had grown more anxious. "i'm going to go find lori." lilac told her, maggie only nodded in response.

walking into the porch, lilac saw lori walking up to the porch slightly agitated. "daryl won't help, you coming with me or not?" lori asked as she held up a set of car keys.

lilac nodded and the two women got inside the car, making their way to find rick, glenn and hershel.

well, that's what they thought.

_____

and we finally find out what lilac
use to do!