"He had nowhere else to go," I explain. "He sleeps on the floor and does his own chores."

"I don't care! You're 16, Jennie. You can't live with a teenage boy!"

"He doesn't have a home, dad! What do you want me to do, just leave him to sleep on the streets?" I argue.

"Doesn't he have other friends he can stay with? Or does he live with all his female friends?" he says, unimpressed.

"He couldn't. Their parents all know his dad and they would've made him go back."

"Jennie, it is not your responsibility to take care of him. He is a teenage boy and needs to be living with his parents," my dad says.

"I'm not taking care of him. I'm just giving him somewhere to stay. His parents don't care about him. They haven't even looked for him!"

He closes his eyes, bringing his hands to his forehead. "You can get into serious trouble if someone decides they want him home one day. I thought you were smarter than this, Jennie."

"I'm sorry dad but I can't make him go back," I say. "I can't make him go back to a place where he's miserable when there's plenty of space here."

"That's not your decision to make!"

"Then whose decision is it?!" I shout, raising my voice for the first time. "Yours? You haven't been here in months!"

"It's still my house."

"It's my house, too. I'm the one who cleans it. I'm the one who lives in it. And dad, I like having him here, okay? Every day since I was a kid, I've come home from school to an empty house. But now when I come home, there's someone here." Suddenly, it's not about Nico anymore. "I mean, you don't even call me anymore. Don't you think I get lonely once in a while?"

His face starts to falter. "You were always so good on your own-" he starts.

"Do you think I was born that way?" I ask. "I had to be good on my own. Mom died and you were never here! Yes, I learned how to cook breakfast but only because if I didn't, it meant I wasn't eating. If I didn't do the dishes, nobody did. I was a kid but even then, I knew that complaining would only make things harder for you so I never said anything but... No one WANTS to always be alone, dad."

He goes quiet. He's not angry anymore; I can tell. He definitely will be again later but not right now. Now, he just looks defeated. "Jennie, I... I'm sorry, I've just been so busy..."

"Dad, you go hang out with your girlfriend every night. You text her throughout the day and eat dinner with her and sleep next to her." My lips pull up in a weak smile as tears threaten to leave my eyes. "What about me?" I ask quietly. "Why don't you take care of me for once? I'm busy, too. I'm a junior now. I took the SAT, I have four AP classes, I cook dinner, do the dishes, do the laundry, my boyfriend cheated on me, a girl tried to fight me... I have stuff going on in my life too."

If you were home, he would've never even moved in.

"Ok, Jennie," he says in a resigned voice. Whether he's tired or sad, I can't tell. "I'm sorry. I'm a horrible father and I've spent too much time on Alison."

"That's not what I'm saying," I say. I don't want his guilt. I want him to understand me. "I'm glad you have Alison. I'm glad you have someone. But... I'm just saying it would be nice to see you more often."

He nods. "You're right. I... I'm sorry, Jennie. I don't have any excuses for you but... I'm gonna get better. I promise." My lips press together. "But he still needs to move out, Jennie. He has a family of his own."

My eyes shift to his clothes hanging in my closet over to where his teddy bear sits next to my alpaca then to his rings on my drawer.

"Ok," I agree finally. "I'll figure something out."

My dad nods, satisfied. He hesitates then awkwardly reaches out for a hug, which I return shortly. It feels more obligatory than anything but it's a step in the right direction.

"Are you staying for dinner?" I ask.

"Sure, why not," my dad answers with an effortful smile.

I mirror his smile. "I can make pasta."

"How about we order in?" he says. "We can get your favorite: fried chicken." Fried chicken isn't my favorite anymore but I just smile and nod.

He gives me a soft smile. "Your mother would be proud of you," he says. "Me, I don't know, but you definitely."

My heart pangs. He hasn't mentioned my mother in a long time. Neither of us have.

"She would be proud of you too," I say. He's healing, too.

He scratches his cheek. "Thanks. I'll see you at dinner." He turns to look at me again before leaving the room. "Take care of it."

I nod as he closes the door behind him.

I will take care of it. I always do.

A/N: We're reaching the end! 38 chapters plus an epilogue ^-^ Don't forget to vote and comment :)