Chapter 13

Joe

I follow the ambulance to the hospital. I don't care if I go through red lights. I need to be where Demi is.

We pull up to the hospital, and I park the car. I follow Dianna and Dallas into the emergency room, "I'm sorry, no one is allowed beyond this point." The nurse closes the doors, and I see them take her away.

We all go into the waiting room and sit down, "This is all my fault."

"What do you mean, Joe?" Dallas asks.

I explain everything that happened. I could tell that they were angry, but they showed sympathy after I finished, "It's not your fault, Joe. She didn't let you explain. She's fragile, something like this has happened to her in the past. She'll eventually come around. Don't give up on her yet." Dianna rubs my back, "Just please, don't let it happen again. She can only take so much."

"I won't." I assure her.

Dallas and Dianna are sleeping, but I can't sleep knowing that Demi could still die. I need to know that she's okay before I can actually sleep.

It's been almost two hours since we got here. I'm getting really worried.

A few minutes pass, and a nurse comes out, "Anyone here for Lovato?" She asks.

I quickly stand up and go over to her, "Is she okay?"

"She lost a lot of blood, but we were able to keep her stable. Any minute later, she would be dead. Visitation hours open at seven, you can see her then, but right now she needs to rest." She explains.

"Thank you." I turn around and wake up Dallas and Dianna to tell them the news. They nod their heads and go back to sleep. I sit back down in the chair and fall asleep myself.

I wake up to sun shining in my eyes. I check my phone and see that it's eight in the morning. I also see that my mom called me. I quickly call her back.

"Joe, where are you?" She asks, worried.

"I'm at the hospital with Dianna and Dallas. Demi was taken here at three in the morning. I woke up from the sirens and followed it to the hospital in your car." I explain.

"That's terrible! Is she okay?"

"She'll be okay. I'm gonna go see her. Love you, mom, bye." I answer.

"Love you too." She hangs up and I rush to the front desk.

"Demetria Lovato." I tell the lady.

She presses a few buttons and smiles, "Room 218."

"Thank you." I walk to the stairs and run up them, they're faster than the elevator.

I get on the second floor and look for room 218. I finally find it. I stop at the door and take a deep breath. Then, I open it.

Demi

I wake up and look around, "Mom? Where am I?" I ask.

"You're in the hospital, Demi." She comes over and hugs me. So does Dallas.

I look down at my wrists and realize why. I sigh, "I'm sorry. Just please, don't hate me." I cry.

"You could do the worst thing imaginable, and we would still love you. It's impossible for us to hate you." My mom hugs me tighter.

We talk about other things. But then the door opens. I look over and see who it is, "Get out." I glare at him.

"Demi--" He starts.

"Get out!" I scream. He stays put, "You're a cheater! You broke your promises! How could you?!" I cry.

"Demi, just let him explain." Dallas whispers.