Chapter 16

Three weeks later...

Demi

Joe has been really distant lately. I hope he's okay. Ever since he met Selena, he's been acting really strange. Whenever we're alone, he gives me a look like he wants to make a move or something, but then he doesn't. And I feel bad that I'm always busy with school whenever he wants to hang out. But that doesn't mean he always has to be so quiet all the time, right? I ask him if anything is up, but he always says that everything is fine. I just don't know.

Selena has made a lot of friends here already. Especially Taylor. They're so close. But Selena always comes to sit with Miley, Danielle, the boys, and I for lunch. I really don't mind. Selena and I have been best friends since we were really little, I know that I won't be replaced. That she would also be here if I ever needed her. I'd do the same for her.

Joe and I are at the movies. He has his arm around me. We both ate the popcorn the he bought. I want to scream right now. It's just too quiet. I mean, I get it. It's a movie theater, but even when we're not here, he's just always so quiet. He's never been like this.

I suddenly see my phone light up, "I'll be right back." I whisper to Joe. He just nods.

I walk out of the theater and into the hall, "Hello?"

"D-demi..." I hear Selena's voice. She's crying.

"Selly, what's wrong? Are you okay?" I ask her, worried.

"Taylor br-broke up wi-with m-m-me." She cries even harder.

"Oh my gosh, I'll be there as soon as I can!" I hang up. I really didn't want to leave Joe. But Selena needs me. I'd do the samething if it were the other way around.

I rush back into the theater and get to Joe, "Hey, Selena really, really needs me. Is it okay if I go?" I ask him. He sighes and nods, "I'm really sorry. I love you." I peck his lips, but he didn't kiss back. A part of me just broke.

I walk out to my car. Joe and I met here since we were both out when I asked if he wanted to go see a movie with me. I get in the car and rush to Sel's house.

I just open the door and run upstairs to Selena's room, "I came as fast as I could!" I run over to her and hug her while she's still crying. She explains everything to me. And I hug her some more.

"You wanna know what we need?" I ask her.

"What?" She sniffles.

"Ice cream and a movie." I smile and grab her hand.

The movie ends, and Selena has finally stopped crying, "You wanna help me write a song?" I look over at her.

"Is gonna be about Joe?" She asks.

"Maybe." I give her a pouty lip.

She laughs, "Fine."

"Yes!" I drag her back upstairs to her room.

We start working on the song.

"Okay, go through the whole thing now. See how it sounds." Selena urges me on.

"Alright, let's give it a try." I take a deep breath and she starts playing her guitar.

I hear what you're not saying
It's driving me crazy
It's like we stopped breathing in this room
We're both last to be leaving
I know what you're thinking
I wish you'd make your move

It's much too quiet in here
I want to disappear
I'm hearing myself thinking too clear
It's too quiet in here
Make it all go away
Why can't we break this silence
Finally