Chapter Eight || looking

Start from the beginning

Summer seems to calm down as we begin to head out onto the field, where some people have begun to gather. Some are sitting on the grass or walking around the field, but it seems the coaches haven't arrived yet.

"What are you guys trying out for?" I prompt once we get to the center of everyone.

"I do 100m, the 100m relay, and shot putt," Sawyer informs me before turning to Summer.

"I usually try out for discus and the 800m, but last year I didn't get picked for competition for the 800. Mia did, but I've been practicing all year, so I'm hoping that this is my year." She tells us, looking hopeful at the idea of getting on the team. "You?"

"I think I'm gonna go for high jump, long jump, and maybe the 1500m."

"Didn't you say you used to do athletics at your old school?" Sawyer questions as we walk to a drink cooler with a bunch of water bottles and Gatorade.

I nod, "yeah but I haven't done it in ages, so I'm hoping it'll just be like riding a bike. Honestly, as long as I'm getting a workout in, I don't really mind."

"Is it mandatory that you work out, you know, for your modeling and stuff?" Summer asks, curiously. Sawyer hands us both a cold bottle of water before getting one for herself.

"Not really," I answer, "I barely go to any castings anymore, so it's not something I've thought about."

"Doesn't your brother model as well?" Summer blushes.

"Uhhh," I lightly laugh at her reaction. "Yeah, both of them do. My Mom put us all in it, but I stopped when she passed away. The boys still do it though."

"Adriano's our age, right?" Sawyer hits her arm, giving her a warning glare. I laugh at the two of them.

"Yeah, he's only ten months older than me. He's a junior, too. And then Antonio has just turned five."

"If you don't mind me asking... I'm just curious, why were you expelled from your last school?" Summer asks slowly, waiting for my reaction.

Before I can get a word in, the girl stumbles over her words, "actually, it's fine. You don't have to tel–"

"No, it's okay," I reassure her, "I'm assuming you found out from the articles," they both nod. "Well, first of all, I just want to say that I didn't bully anyone. The girl that said all of those things was the actual 'mean girl' of our school, and second of all, I was trying to defend another person she had made fun of by getting back at her. And then I kind of, maybe, cursed my old Principal out and started a riot in the school hallways." I shyly tell them. "But, in my defense, he deserved it."

The girls look at me, their mouths agape, their faces full of shock and humor. I have to clear my throat before either of them even begin to move, which makes this situation even more laughable.

"Look, I'm not gonna lie to you, Adina," Sawyer starts, "I think the majority of people here at the Academy have seen the newspapers and articles, and more than likely, believe them. But, from the time we've spent together, I can see you're not like that. And the girls and I promised that we wouldn't judge you before we even knew you. So, just so you know, I think that's really cool what you did for that girl."

"Yeah, I agree with S. People like Mia need to be brought down a peg," Summer says in a sassy tone.

"Thanks, guys, that means a lot," I tell them softly.

"So, what do you think of the boys here?" Summer changes the topic of conversation smoothly, a sly smile spreading across her face.

I roll my eyes, "they're alright, I guess."

"Vaughn seems to have taken a liking to you," Sawyer tells me, looking at me with a sly grin, making me double back in shock.

"Why do you think that?" I laugh, raising my eyebrows.

"Well, he usually never asks people that many questions and I saw the way you were both looking at each other at lunch," Summer says, winking at the end.

"I mean, I do think he's hot, but I don't know. I'm new here and I kind of just want to settle before starting something. And he also seems a bit full of himself." I say to the girls before someone comes up behind me and puts their arm around my shoulder.

"Who's full of themselves?" I look up to see Chase smiling at the girls, looking like an overexcited five-year-old.

"Don't worry about it," I grin, shaking my head and rolling my eyes as all the boys come into view.

"Well," Caspian says slowly, looking at us with a confused yet amused expression. "Are none of the other girls trying out this year? I'm not surprised that Teagan isn't here because she's probably the least athletic person I have ever met."

"What about Bea? Let's not forget the incident of New Year's Day." Xavier reminds everyone, to which they all nod and agree.

"What's the incident of New Year's Day?" I cross my arms, looking at them questioningly.

"On New Year's Day 2018, we all met up and decided that, for some reason, it was a great idea to go hiking." Caspian starts, laughing lightly as he begins to remember the memory. "We all thought it was a good way to start the new year."

"And let's just say that we didn't get very far, especially considering that Bea ran out of breath not even halfway up the mountain," Chase tells me, shaking his head with laughter, making the rest of them start. "Honestly, I'm kind of surprised Teagan wasn't like that either." He mutters to himself, rubbing the back of his neck.

"So, why aren't the other girls here?" Caspian asks again.

"I think what you meant to say was, 'where's Bea?'" Vaughn states, earning him a playful slap on the arm from Caspian, while the rest of us snicker at his face going red.

"Well, Eris isn't here because she said she couldn't be bothered, Teagan is... well she's Teagan, and Beatrice is busy tutoring someone for English." Summer informs them.

"Who?" Caspian asks, definitely not acting suspiciously at all.

"Wouldn't you like to know, Cas?" Vaughn laughs and pats Caspian on the back, making everyone chuckle as Caspian glares at him. "Come on guys, Coach wants us to warm up." He says, passing by me, his eyes holding contact with mine until his body turns away.

❀❀❀

hey guys,
sorry for the late update.
visiting my family :)
hope you enjoyed <3
p.s. if you live in america and
can get pregnant, i'm so sorry.