xci. father dearest

Start from the beginning

Nevertheless, it does not stop herself from worrying relentlessly for Legolas. 

The mermaid knows that causing herself so much distraught and distress is not good for the baby but she cannot help herself; when they would go into battles together, side by side, assured that everything is going to be alright, it was easier for Vera. Because she was on that same battlefield, within his proximity, and within his radar, allowing them to keep an eye on one another in the midst of all the chaos. 

Now, though, Legolas is going to involve himself in a fight that she will not be present at...because she is pregnant...with his child. Vera mentally curses her elven prince in her mind, grumbling just a little bit as she crosses her arms closer to her chest. Anyway, Vera is not going to be there when Legolas participates in a battle, so she will not be able to keep tabs on him like she normally does.

The mermaid does not even linger on the thought of losing any of her friends or family for she is aware that the speculation itself will cause her more turmoil than she needed. 

Vera had grieved immensely with the death of Boromir, a dear friend to her so close to her mournful heart, and shut down almost completely. Admittedly, Legolas had been her source of a rock to keep her grounded to Middle Earth and unable to move on...if her anchor were to die on her in battle, she may not have the strength to continue anymore. It is not because she is dependent on Legolas, no...it is because she loves him, and the loss of him is going to be more painful than anything Vera knows. 

Henceforth, Vera proceeds to attempt to lighten her heart. With a more positive approach.

Prayer.

Vera does not remember the last time she had taken the time to properly send worship to the Valar above and Eru Ilùvatar. And Vera has strong reason to believe that this would be a good time to start, what with everything happening. 

So Vera closes her eyes calmly, letting herself feel everything around her in depth; the light, colorful winds peacefully flying pass her, the glorified outlandish light of the radiant moon smiling down just for the warriors of Rohan, the spread-out blanketed sky of pure black obsidian, decorated with shining, pale stars contrasting in comparison to its background, and the comforting warmth of her lover just a few tents away emanating towards her. 

Vera reaches further within herself to get a sensation of her beautifully bright spirit and how it glows so brilliantly in the wake of her exterior self calming down in tranquility. It had definitely not felt this at peace in a long time, and the notion did not pass by unwelcomed and ungrateful. 

The brunette thinks back to her family...the ones under the sea and the ones on land. And then, she prays.

The mermaid prays that her friends, who have been with her since the beginning of their Fellowship, who have stuck by her side no matter what, and endure everything together for the longest time, who have struggled together and got through it for better or worse, that they will survive and come out of this new battle in no time, unwounded and with no problems, just as they had previously. 

The sea Queen prays that her dear brother and her cousin, both of which have always been glued to her sides like gum refusing to leave a person's shoe, and have been with her for her entire life through every unforgettable quest under the ocean surface and every mistaken adventure she sought out for herself and every meaningless breakdown Vera has gone through, will return to their rightful places in the nick of time, fulfilling their promise to one another to stay their dynamic trio. 

Vera Adelaide prays that her newfound family, the family she did not know existed until months ago, the family who took no hesitation in welcoming her as her own despite her flaws and the half of her she could not control, the family that accepted her and embraced her flaws and histories, the family who loved Vera unconditionally just how a family should, and the family who taught the innocent girl what a family really is, will come back to their awaiting loved ones and live a long, happy life after this war, stress-free and no worries but what their children will wear to a new celebration.