Chapter 11

It was getting brighter and brighter every minute, every hour. Laxus was lying on his bed, staring at the ceiling like he had done for hours already. He had managed to sleep somewhat, but his sleep was so light he actually woke up in an instant the sun was up. It was definitely something he did not do often.

He just laid still, listening carefully what was happening. He heard earlier how Freed woke up and was moving around in the house. He and his dragon slayer ears... He definitely didn't mean to listen what the rune mage was doing, but he couldn't just fall asleep and part of him was a bit worried too. What if Freed might do something weird?

Laxus listened how Freed did something in the bathroom, probably brushed his teeth and shaved and normal things like that. After he was done it sounded like the man went to the kitchen. Huh, he was barefooted, he could hear his steps against the wooden floor. Usually Freed preferred using slippers so his feet wouldn't get cold. And why did he know that?

Laxus grunted rubbing his face and his eyes felt dry because of just staring at the ceiling for hours. He was tired yet he couldn't sleep. He felt uneasy and quite frankly he was a bit scared because it felt like during all these hours awake he found himself thinking only about Freed.

Mostly he thought about last night, them talking at the patio, then watching the lacrimavision together. How the swordsman fell asleep... Laxus had waited at least an hour, watching the show alone and hoping that maybe Freed might wake up on his own but of course that didn't happen. What it was he wanted to happen at that point? He wasn't sure. Did he want to talk, cuddle, ask if Freed...

No no, he wouldn't have gone as far as asking if Freed wanted to come in his room instead of the guest room, not even if they were just sleeping. He was definitely not ready for something like that yet, he was still too confused because of all this. And there was no reason to ponder what might've happened, he had to carry Freed in the guest room in the end and the man didn't even wake up. For a tiny moment he had lingered beside the bed, maybe still waiting if Freed might wake up and say something, but that didn't happen and he had to return to his chamber in the darkness alone.

Damn he was acting ridiculous.

For a while now Laxus had listened how Freed was obviously making coffee or tea. He had also put a frying pan on a stove and slowly Laxus started to smell something good. Eggs and bacon. So Freed decided to try cooking, it was a good thing he was awake just in case.

Laxus grunted and he finally got up, taking his pants and pulled them on. Then he opened the door just in time to hear a clink and a crash and he dashed in the hallway.

"What happened?" he asked looking around when he got in the kitchen.

"It's alright, everything is fine", Freed quickly assured as he was picking up pieces of a teacup he had accidentally dropped on the floor. "Watch out for shards, I'll clean them."

"You're telling me to watch out?" Laxus asked looking at the rune mage and Freed straightened his back, looking confused.

"What?" he asked. "I'm careful."

"I just... You... At least I'm wearing something more than just an apron", Laxus said, looking at Freed who actually wasn't wearing anything else but a black apron he had found.

At first Freed looked at him like he didn't understand what he said, then his eyes slightly widened and he looked down, realizing Laxus was right.

"Oh shit, I don't know what I was thinking", he said and quickly dropped the shards in an empty bowl on the table. "Or maybe I wasn't even thinking, I just got up and didn't even realize... Yes, I wasn't thinking at all", Freed sighed and Laxus got a little bit amused when seeing how he blushed. "Don't step in the kitchen, I'll clean right away when I come back", Freed assured.