Chapter Seventeen | Pale-maille

Mulai dari awal

"Don't be smart with me, where are your friends?"

"Neither Headfort nor Berkeley wanted to be subjected to welcoming guest, they both went off for a ride earlier this morning."

"I do hope they will arrive in time for the luncheon." Lady Torrington's words held a threatening tone to her voice.

"For their sake, I do hope so as well."

The duke's eyes met Vivienne's as he held her gaze for a moment, "I do not believe for a second you might actual enjoy standing here like a foolish statue, my lady."

Vivienne's cheeks warmed because she had been enjoying standing in the welcoming line. It made her feel a part of the household, but she didn't want to tell the duke that—lest he tease her more.

Before he could say anything else, the door swung open and Martin announced the first guests, "Lord and Lady Albermay."

Vivienne watched as a portly man and woman made their way towards them.

"Lennox," Lord Albermay's voice boomed through the halls. "I must say I was pleasantly surprised at the invitation to your estate."

The duke didn't smile as he took Lord Albermay's hand, "as was I."

There was a moment of silence before Lady Albermay pitched in, "Oh, Your Grace. He simply meant that we are gracious to be your house guests."

The duke turned towards the dowager countess, "Well you can thank my great-aunt for that."

Lady Torrington, to her credit ignored James hard rebuke before she turned to Lady Albermay and pulled Vivienne forward, "May I introduce my charge, Lady Vivienne?"

Vivienne smiled at the lady, still marveling over how many bows seemed to be on the lady's bonnet. Lady Albermay looked at her in a peculiar manor, "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"Likewise," Vivienne said graciously.

Before she could say anything else, it was James who cut it. "You must be exhausted from your journey; a maid will take you to your rooms."

Vivienne simply looked at the duke who was ignoring her. The Albermay's were their closest neighbours and to suggest that they would be tired of such a journey was foolish. However, it seemed that Lord Albermay understood James quite well. It had been a ducal order that James did not want ignored and so he led his wife up the stairs as they followed the footman.

Vivienne smiled slightly, "That wasn't so bad now, was it?"

Lady Torrington and the duke's shared glanced wiped the smile right off her face as James sighed, "Oh Lady Vivienne, that wasn't even half of it. It seems that you will be in for quite the treat."

***

Vivienne grabbed a drink from one of the footmen before taking a long sip. Although it wasn't quite the summer weather yet, it was still warmer, and the sun has surprisingly decided to show up as well. Guests were milling about and there was even a game of Pale-maille set up in the corner of the grounds. Vivienne had no idea what it was, but she had seen a number of ladies and gentlemen that were playing with some sort of odd palettes and balls that looked quite heavy. She was going to avoid that game if she could.

She also watched as the duke stood with his friends by his side and larger crowd of ladies who were all vying for their attention. Vivienne was fascinated as the ladies fluttered their fans often while looking coy underneath their colourful bonnets. As Lady Torrington explained to her, there was truly a level of artistry involved in gaining a gentlemen's attention and it seemed these ladies had quite the practice.