Chapter Seven | Roles

WHEN VIVIENNE WOKE up the next morning, she still felt like the conversation she had with the duke last night was a dream. She never imagined that she would be found out. To her, she'd done well enough to merge herself with the rest of the household servants. The duke was very perceptive, she had to admit. She didn't know what was going to be done with her now. He hadn't told her if she would continue her service or if he would remove her from his household and place her back on the streets.

"Lady Vivienne?"

Vivienne's gaze snapped to the door as Mrs. Shrine walked towards her. When the housekeeper saw the panic in her eyes, she gave her a comforting smile. "All is well, the duke told me about your conversation last night. His Grace wanted me to move you into a newer room more fit for a lady of your standing."

Vivienne glanced around the room. It was less than pleasant but it has suited her quite well. It gave her a sense of security when everything in her life seemed to be in upheaval. "If it's quite alright, I'd like to remain here." she said.

Mrs. Shrine winced, "The duke didn't leave any room for argument my lady."

"Please, call me Vivienne."

The housekeeper shook her head, "It wouldn't be proper of me to address you so."

Vivienne shook her head silently. Everything was changing so quickly. The last few weeks Ms. Shrine had been something like a surrogate mother to her and now it seemed the position had changed upon learning of Vivienne's standing.

"Come my lady, I'll show you the room."

Vivienne slowly followed her out of the servant's quarters. They went up the stairs, receiving a few curious looks from the maids but they didn't say anything. They finally arrived in front of a door and Mrs. Shrine pushed it open, "After you, my lady."

Vivienne stepped into the bedroom and was taken aback by the grandeur. The walls were painted a pale green colour with a gorgeous mirror handing on one side and a landscape painting of the manor on another. The bed was massive with plenty of tassels and gold trimmings everywhere. The carpet beneath her feet was a sultry orange colour with intricate geometric patterns.

"I can't stay here," Vivienne said, turning towards Mrs. Shrine after she'd finished admiring the room. It was way too glamorous.

"Lady Vivienne, the duke insisted that this be your new bedroom. If you have issues, I'm afraid you must take it up with his grace."

It was clear that Mrs. Shrine would not let her return to the servant's quarters. "Where exactly is his grace?" Vivienne asked politely.

"He went riding this morning and said that he wouldn't be back until later in the evening. I was also commanded to tell you that he requests your presence for dinner tonight."

Vivienne swallowed the bile that began to rise in her throat. She hadn't dined with anyone except Agatha in years. Although her governess did instruct her on the formal etiquette of aristocratic dinners, she was severely out of practice, and poorly dressed.

She was still wearing the muddy brown dress that one of the maids had lent it. It had plenty of holes in it, which was fine as a servant but to dine with the duke it was not. Perhaps she could get a needle and some thread to mend it together—although she was far from a competent seamstress.

"Would it be possible to get some thread and a needle?" Vivienne asked embarrassed of her clothes now that her rank was revealed. It hadn't mattered when everyone believed that she was a maid, now that she was a lady, the training she'd grown up with took over. She needed finer gowns, but she would never ask the duke for that, she still had some pride.