30. Birthday surprises

Presley

I wake up to the sound of someone knocking on a door. Sitting bolt upright on the big comfy bed I realize I'm at the Spring Brook Hotel in Toronto and not in my bed at home. My phone's screen reads 8:23 Tuesday, December 01.

I sigh.

Happy 18th birthday to me.

My heart drops when I notice the empty spot next to me where Deon had slept last night.

"Elvie, open up!" At the sound of Maddy's hurried voice I jump out of bed swiftly and head for the room door. As soon as I open it Maddy storms inside and lays a dress and shoes on the bed.

My best friend's wearing a backless white chiffon layered ruffle dress with a deep cut V-neck and ruffle straps. She has strappy nude wedges on her feet. Her blond hair flows down her shoulders and back loosely.

"No questions. Just wear these and come down to the dining area for breakfast."

"Where'd you get this? It's beautiful." I stare at the stunning short lemonade pink ruffle hem bodycon dress with spaghetti straps laid out on the bed. The pair of white four-inch slingback stilettos are gorgeous, and they match the dress ideally.

"I know, right?" Maddy gushes, handing me a pair of long white dangle star earrings. "Just wear it with these and come down. This is a very expensive and fancy five-star hotel, so you need to dress accordingly." She says before leaving as fast as she had come in.

Even though I had hoped no one would remember my birthday, I had had a sliver of hope that they would. But it's quite sad that my best friend had forgotten it. She has never forgotten to wish me on my birthday.

Once Maddy's gone I grab the dress to go to the bathroom, but not before I get a glimpse of a tiny piece of paper on the bedside table. It says,

See you at breakfast. I need to be at the penthouse before Mom wakes up and finds out I slept in your room.

- Deon x

I smile to myself before placing the paper back down and observing the stunning dress Maddy left for me. The tag at the back of the neckline reads 'CHANEL' and I gawk at it in astonishment.

Wow. The dress must have cost a fortune. I really need to talk to Maddy about this.

I shower, shave, and get dressed quickly. The dress fits me perfectly, emphasizing all of my curves. As I don't have any underwear, and because the dress allows it, I go commando.

After putting on a bit of lip balm and black eyeliner from the little makeup set in the bathroom, I wear the dangle earrings and stilettos. Grabbing my phone and the room's key card, I head to the first floor for breakfast.

Maddy was right when she said this is a fancy hotel. Everyone's dressed very fashionably.

Michael Bublé's cover of 'It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas' plays through the hotel's overhead speakers as I go in search of the dining area. Finding it through a hotel directions board, I walk in through the wide open glass doors, but the woman at the entrance stops me. She looks pretty young, maybe in her mid-twenties. Her brunet hair and pale skin complexion makes her dark brown eyes stand out.

"Good morning. Can I please know your name and room number?" She asks in a thick French accent.

"Good morning. Um...I'm Presley Jones." I check the key card. "And my room number is 8055."