19. Deon has a girlfriend?

Presley

I'm still reeling over the piece of information Jessica told me after Physics class today. I wouldn't have believed her if Alina and a few others hadn't confirmed.

Deon has a girlfriend.

How did I not know? Why hadn't he told me? Next time I should definitely do a background check on guys before I start crushing on them.

"He really likes you, Elle," Maddy says from her perch on the edge of my bed.

"He has a girlfriend for god's sake."

"I'm quite sure it's just another stupid rumor Jessica told you."

There's a knock on the door, and mindlessly I say, "Come in."

It's probably Gramma or Grandpa checking on me to know if I'm okay because I was close to tears when I came home with Maddy.

The door cracks open and suddenly a head of black silky hair pops in and I throw the small pillow in my hand at the door, letting out a small scream. "What are you doing here?" I say in an accusatory tone.

"I didn't see you at school today, and you seen-zoned me every time I texted you, so I just wanted to see if you were okay."

"See? I'm perfectly fine," I say, spreading out my arms for emphasis. "Now please leave."

"Not until you tell me what's wrong."

"You don't know what's wrong? Really?" Maddy pipes in. "What's wrong is that you have a freaking girlfriend and didn't have the decency to tell us. I mean Elvie."

"What the fuck?" Deon says, stepping into my room and closing the door behind him. "I don't have a girlfriend. What makes you think I do?"

"Don't play the innocent here, Deon. Some girls were talking in school," Maddy counters.

"Who?" He asks, looking confused.

"Jessica, Alina and a few others," I say.

"Ah..." He sighs as if realization just dawned on him and leans against the door.

Maddy stands up from my bed then. "You two talk it out. I'm outta here," she says before shoving past Deon. Once she's gone Deon vacates the spot on my bed Maddy was in mere seconds ago.

He looks heavenly. He's wearing a red t-shirt with a pair of dark blue denims. His hair is messy and looks hot as hell. The light stubble under his chin only makes him look hotter than he already is, if that's even possible. His eyes look bluer than ever. I stare at them as they take an appraisal of my body. It makes me shiver and want to hide under the bed sheets.

I shake my head, trying to clear my thoughts.

"You can continue to ogle me. I don't mind at all." Deon smirks.

I roll my eyes at him and try to keep a straight face. "So, you do have a girlfriend," I state, but it comes out as a question.

"No, I don't." He knots his fingers together. "There was an incident during psych today. Elina—"

"You mean Alina?"

Deon's forehead wrinkles adorably for a second as he thinks about it. "Yeah, her," he says. "She gave me a note saying that her parents are out of town and asking me if I wanted to accompany her to her house after school. I squashed the paper and threw it in the dust bin then told her that I have a girlfriend..."

"Oh. So you do have a girlfriend."

"You didn't let me finish. I told her that so that she would leave me alone. So, I don't have a girlfriend."