7. the vanishing cabinet

elena, alison and luke enter the room of requirement.

it was quiet, but they were immediately overwhelmed by the amount of random objects stacked as high as the ceiling surrounding them. they couldn't walk ten feet in front of them without having to move out of the way of another pile of trash.

"what is all of this stuff?" luke asks, following the girls as they walk through the labyrinth of a room.

"it looks like we're in some sort of really big storage closet." alison says.

"it's the room of hidden things," elena tells them, looking around. after spending a considerable amount of time in the room with calum, she's learned a thing or two about the forms it can take. "it's one of the ways it presents itself to students. alot of people hide things in here, knowing it won't be found because there's already so much stuff."

"what's calum hiding in there then, hmm?" alison asks no one in particular, following elena as she continues walking around the room's open path, searching in every direction for her boyfriend. finally, after turning a corner, she notices movement in front of her and stops. his back was facing her as he toggled with the latch on a large black cupboard.

"calum?"

the slytherin whips around, his eyes wide. "elena. alison, luke, what are you guys doing here?" he asks, walking up to his girlfriend.

"we followed you." alison says, crossing her arms.

"what are you doing here?" elena asks him, looking around. "and what is all of this stuff?"

"nevermind that," he shakes his head. "you all need to leave. now." calum tells them.

"why?" luke questions.

"i-it's complicated." he groans, quickly turning around to look at the cabinet as if it could erupt any moment. "i just need you to go, okay?" the boy pleads, looking at them in desperation.

"no!" elena stands her ground. "what is going on? why are you being so secretive? why are you spending time in a room filled with trash instead of your girlfriend?" she demands.

calum opens his mouth to speak again, but he doesn't get the chance before the cupboard behind him begins making a rattling noise. the four wizards turn their attention to the doors of the large cabinet as they open and pansy parkinson walks out.

"calum, it— oh." she stops mid sentence after seeing the hufflepuffs. "i see we have company." she says, giving them a dirty look.

elena raises her eyebrows at calum, waiting for an explanation as to what he was doing in a secret room alone with her, but he didn't have one.

"it's not what it looks like i swear." he tells her, however it indeed looked bad.

"you're a cheater!" alison scoffs. "at least sneak around with someone worth it." she says, looking pansy up and down in disgust.

"how could you?" elena asks her boyfriend softly, anguish and distress covering her face. she looks at him, waiting for a reply. he looks to the ground, biting his lip, not knowing what to say.

"come on, elena. he's not worth it." luke says, turning around and heading back the way they came.

tears begin to fill elena's eyes as they were still searching calum's face, waiting for some sort of explanation. she wanted him to tell her she just happened to be in the same room, that it was a huge misunderstanding, but she knew that wasn't the case. calum and pansy came here together.

he looks at her, pain-stricken. "el..."

"i can't believe you would do this to me." she didn't trust her voice to talk at a volume above a whisper as she shakes her head in disappointment.