2. a divination disaster

the next day, classes began.

slytherins and hufflepuffs attend class together, so elena, calum, alison and luke met up in the middle of the dungeon corridor to walk to breakfast together.

"good morning, love." calum says with a smile, walking up to the trio.

"morning, cal." elena smiles, giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"i don't know how you two are so peppy in the morning." alison grumbles, rubbing her eyes with the heel of her hand.

"i'm hangry, so let's get to steppin'." luke says, heading to the staircase.

the four friends walk to the great hall and part ways as calum goes to sit at the slytherin table. elena sits down across from alison and luke, enjoying her meal before her first class of the year. after breakfast, the hufflepuffs meet back up with calum and walk to the divination classroom.

the room was almost entirely red, made up of the same color carpet, curtains, tablecloths and seat cushions. the two large windows allowed for light to pour into the classroom, shining onto the students.

"yes yes, come in come in," professor trelawney waves the students in, gesturing for them to join the group of young wizards who had already arrived and were waiting at the front of the room.

"before we begin our first lesson, you will need to find your partner and your seat which i've written on this sheet. oh, that rhymed! hah. anywho, this will be who you work with for the remainder of the year." the professor announces, placing a piece of parchment on her desk. everyone gathers around, scanning the paper for their name.

"me and you, blaise." draco malfoy smirks, giving his friend a fist bump. they, along with some other students, walk off to their seats with their partners, allowing luke to get a look at the list.

"it's me and ali!" he smiles, looking at his girlfriend. "i'm so glad i don't have you-know-who this year." he mutters, shrugging his shoulder in the direction of pansy parkinson.

"look who does." alison raises her eyebrows in surprise, pointing to the name beside pansy's.

"me?" calum asks with wide eyes.

"oh," elena frowns. "well, that's okay. we have other classes together." she nods.

"yeah, but—"

"calum, i think i read that i'm your partner, not her. let's go." pansy interrupts, grabbing his arm and pulling him to their seats.

"sorry, elena." luke says, looking discouraged.

"it's fine. i got susan, and she's super sweet." elena smiles, trying to make the best out of the situation. she takes her seat with susan bones, glancing in calum and pansy's direction.

elena usually wasn't the jealous type, but to say it didn't bother her would be a lie. she knew pansy has fancied calum ever since he arrived at hogwarts two years ago. now she had an excuse to spend time with him inside and outside of class. calum of course could be trusted, but pansy couldn't. however, elena subsided those emotions in order to focus on the lesson.

professor trelawney passes out tea leaves, instructing the students to add them to their teacup with a dash of water, then turn the cups upside down onto the saucer. this art of tasseography would help determine each person's future.

"now, you may turn your cups over. use page four of your textbooks to interpret your leaves," she says. "let's share some of our fortunes. mister malfoy, what about you? what does your cup say?"