5. heartbreak in hogsmeade

two weeks had passed.

the students had finished their second full week of class and now it was the weekend, saturday. nothing between calum and elena had changed. calum was beginning to slip further and further away from elena, and operation bust a boyfriend was getting them no where.

however, elena thought that a day without school or quidditch would be a sure way to be able to spend time with her boyfriend. alison and luke had planned to have a "date day", having a picnic by a black lake. they told elena that her and calum were more than welcome to join, so elena sent an owl, asking if he would like to tag along.

'i already have plans
sorry,
cal'

elena sighed as she read the scribbles on the piece of parchment. the only times that she had spoken to calum the past few days was in between classes. after the school day ended, he went straight to quidditch practice. after that, it was shower, dinner and off to bed. now, by looks of it, she would never get any time with her boyfriend.

in an effort to clear her mind, elena decided to take the day for herself. she got ready for the day and went down to have breakfast. slipping on some jeans, a cozy yellow sweater and slip on shoes, she makes her way to the great hall.

"good morning sir nicholas." she smiles, walking through the entrance of the dining hall.

"morning, elena!" the ghost greets her back.

she takes a seat at her usual spot along the hufflepuff table, grabbing a warm biscuit and jam. she eats her breakfast, trying to make the most out of the situation by enjoying the alone time she got to herself.

there weren't many other students in the great hall at this time. elena recognized neville longbottom and luna lovegood who sat at their house tables, reading the quibbler. she gave a wave to both of them, sipping her orange juice. almost everyone sleeps until noon on saturdays, but elena had a habit of waking up early. probably because her and calum would wake up at dawn almost every weekend last year, meet in the astronomy tower and watch the sunrise. it was very peaceful, seeing the pink and orange clouds, watching the golden rays glimmer on the black lake, sitting in his arms. she wished she could go back to that moment.

after her meal, elena took a stroll around the castle, trying to clear her mind. she found that admiring her environment was a good way to take her mind off of what was bothering her, putting it on the magic that surrounded her. walking through the corridor beside the courtyard, she looked out at the scenery and noticed a familiar face. he was sitting on one of the concrete benches under a large tree.

"ashton?" elena calls, standing in the middle of the doorway.

the gryffindor looks up at her, quickly drying his eyes. "oh, hey elena." he says, his voice unstable.

"are you crying?" elena frowns, walking over to him.

"no no, just got some rain water in the eye." he lies.

"ashton it's not even cloudy," she says, sitting down on the bench beside him. "what's wrong?"

the boy sighs, resting his elbows on his knees and looking at the ground. "hermione broke up with me." he mumbles.

"oh no. ash, I'm so sorry." elena tells him, her heart aching for him. she knew how much and how long he had his sight set on hermione.

"she said there's not anything wrong with me, she just fancies ron more, which is bloody ridiculous! the guy is thick!" ashton rants.

"well, they have known each other for quite a while now, but don't let it get you down. this just means you're one step closer to finding who you're truly meant to be with." elena encourages.