4. operation bust a boyfriend

"okay, here's the plan."

it was the next day. the three friends sat at in the great hall eating their breakfast. luke butters his biscuit as alison pulls out a hand drawn map of the divination classroom in order to show how they will go about their mission more clearly.

"you and susan sit here," she says, pointing to one of the circles drawn on the right side of the paper, indicating a table on the right of the classroom. me and luke are over here," she moves her finger to the left side of the paper, pointing to another circle. "and calum and pansy are right here." she moves diagonally from her table on the map to point to the subjects.

"right," elena nods, showing her understanding of the layout. "and how are we going to find out what he's up to?" she asks.

"since me and luke are closer, we'll eavesdrop on their conversation to see if we hear anything suspicious. if he was talking with her on the train, there's a good chance they could be talking about the same thing during class." alison explains.

"okay, sounds easy enough." elena nods.

"then we'll meet in the hallway right after class to discuss what we heard. okay?"

"wait, we forgot a very important part." luke tells her.

"what?"

"a name."

"a name?" elena asks, looking at him quizzically.

"yeah, the name of the mission. something cool like," luke pauses, biting his lip and looking up to ponder. his eyes light up as he thinks of the best idea. "operation bust a boyfriend." he smiles, raising his eyebrows.

elena and alison blink at him, their faces blank, wondering if he was actually serious.

"operation bust a boyfriend!" luke repeats, making small jazz hands. "come on, it's good." he groans, frowning at his friend's lack of appreciation for his contribution.

"babe," alison says, putting a hand on his shoulder. "that's the most stupid thing i've ever heard." she tells him sweetly, then looks away from her goofy boyfriend. "so, are we ready to go?"

"yep, and it looks like we don't have to wait on calum today. he's walking to class with his own group." elena says, standing up from the table, watching her boyfriend from across the room.

alison and luke turn around, seeing calum walking out of the great hall with draco, blaise and pansy. the three hufflepuffs leave the great hall and follow far behind the slytherins to the divination classroom and take their seats.

anyone who didn't know calum and elena weren't together wouldn't ever suspect anything was going on between them. the boy didn't even look her way, making elena wonder if he was still interested in being in a relationship with her. whatever he was so busy with lately, it was putting a wedge between them, pulling them apart farther and farther each day.

as class begins, she glances over to alison and luke, watching them as they try to hear calum and pansy's conversation.

"i can barely hear them. there's too much noise in here." luke whispers to alison.

"get closer, then." she discreetly replies, keeping her eyes on the assignment her and luke were supposed to be doing.

luke bites his lip and begins to slowly lean backwards in his chair, the front legs of the stool lifting up off of the ground. calum and pansy's table was positioned in a such a way that luke couldn't see them, but could almost hear them over the rest of the noise in the classroom if he could just lean back a little further.