Chapter 18

Knock. Knock. Knock. My heart skipped at every knock. I was afraid. My mother walked over to get the door. I heard hushed tones but anticipated the absolute worse. Not for my mom. Not for my dad. But for me.

They came into my side view. My dad. He wore a black turtleneck and black jeans. His skin was pale and his eyes were emerald green. His hair was dark, but not black. He studied me, standing there.

He stepped forward. My instinct was to step back but I stayed, my eyes avoiding his. " It's been forever since... " he sighed, almost disappointed

" Hey dad." I whispered. I expected to cry. I expected something. But all I felt was an emptiness that didn't sit well with me. He raised his hand and whispered something, flicking his hand as if he were thwarting something away.

My emotions came pouring in, tears falling and my heart beating faster than it had in a while. My emotions were back. So I no longer felt empty, but now I was sad and so angry.

I was resentful and I wanted to know what stupid rule in the universe would allow a parent to never see their kid again. I was a man, but under his soft gaze I was a broken boy. The tears I was crying weren't from me anymore. They were from times where I wished for a father, that would help me with all the stuff I never understood about myself. Tears from when I was 8 and wanted a dad to come with me to school on career day, or when I was 13 and couldn't understand what I was living for. When I was 16 and didn't know what I wanted. His arms pulled me close and held me there. " I know." He whispered.

My mom stood next to me and rubbed my back. " I'll explain everything to you soon. But... It's good to finally see you, face to face."
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

We sat on the couch, somber and quiet. I didn't even know what to ask him.

I pushed my hair out of my eyes and sat up " Why... Was I given up for adoption?"

He looked at me directly " Because we couldn't keep you. Its not normal for a witch and demon to keep the child let alone stay and care for it. We give them away, in hopes that they pursue better lives and not be like their parents."

" But dad why didn't you say anything... I almost killed someone with powers I haven't known much about because there was no one to ever teach me to control them." He looked at the chandelier but focused back in on me. " I know. And I didn't think it was right for me to just come in your life when you genuinely struggled with your identity for so long... I never intended to meet you. I intended for you to be better than me and one day forget what you were a product of." Hurt tears slipped out of my eyes. I wiped them away as they came but they wouldn't stop.

" Well look at me. How much better am I, dad? " I sobbed, wanting to pull out my hair after every syllable "I almost killed the woman I wanted to marry with the flick of my hand and... I pushed everyone who ever loved and cared away. " I stood and looked himin his eyes " I have money and I have success. But I. Have. Nothing. I am empty... and I would be lying to myself if I dared to say you not being in my life wasn't one of the main reasons."

His eyes glowed with rage as he shot and glared at me. " Can't you see. Open your fucking eyes, Keith. I am not the father you want. I am not the role model you need and I wasn't in your life to make you a better person. It's better that we never met in the first place. Its better that you though Lorraine was your mother and that your real father died in an accident." His face was cold but below the surface, he was panicked and just as upset as I was. I knew.

" I'm not capable of giving you anything better that you haven't given yourself . You have a brother, who I tried with. I tried to take care of him and treat him like my son. He ended up worse than me. And most certainly worse than you. He has lost all ability to feel. I gave you away so you wouldn't become a monster like me." He uttered gravely, pulling me into him. I didn't resist at all.

" And I'm not sorry for it either. Look. If you need me to help with your powers, I can give you that. If you need me to be around sometimes, I can be here. But I don't need to spoil your manners by trying to be your father now. " It hurt but deep down I knew. He was being honest with me when he said he couldn't. As honest as he could get with not just me, but with himself. I nodded. I didn't like it, but I had no other options. I needed my father in my life.

" What about my mom?"

He thought for a moment. " Yes. You can reach her personally. She won't reach out to you until you reach out to her." I felt a crumple of paper in my hand. I slipped it in my pocket and nodded.

" I'm gonna go. I'll be around. If you need, I'll know. " My hand heated up for a moment. I looked up my arm and saw the beginnings of a tattoo. I pulled my sleeve down and nodded.

He kissed my forehead and disappeared. I looked at Lorraine. " Well I met my dad. That was eventful." She nodded. I was drained. I had to accept that I wouldn't be any closer to my dad. My mom walked me upstairs to my room. She pulled the covers over me and patted me goodnight. My heart hurt more than I thought it would. I remember he said a quick incantation before he said much of anything. Maybe I was right. It was at the expense of my ability to feel. I was left numb for some time. I closed my eyes and sleep quickly came over me.

.
.
.
.
.
.

*Tap*. I groaned. *Tap tap*. I stretched and turned. Piercing green eyes. But his face was blurry. My eyes weren't open very much. " Follow me."I sat up and grabbed his hand. My body felt almost like it had dissolved.