Chapter 44

Walking down the street, there was a sale at a popular department store. Literally everyone and their mothers ( and even grandmothers ) were there. I faced the path ahead sadly. The closest thing to a mom was my cousin's mom. And it's clear as day that honestly, I hated her. I wanted nothing to do with her. I pursed my lips and pushed my tears back. Normal humans... Doing normal human things with their families. Half-breeds like myself didn't get that. The more I tried pushing my tears away the more they flooded my face. Something as basic as a mom and dad for fuck's sake. I shook the feelings away and walked down the block. I wanted to forget yesterday entirely. I walked to the ice cream shop and the first face I see is Alistair's. An Oreo milkshake was next to him, untouched. In fact, he had a cup of lemon ice. He noticed me and we locked eyes.

I slid in the booth across from him, not meeting his eyes at all. " What are you doing here?"

" Ice cream." He murmured.

" Yeah. Same." I agreed. He slid the shake over to me. " I had a vision that you came here and ordered this..." I was stunned. "Thanks... you didn't have to though." Things were awkward between us since our fight in the car a few days back. " I'm sorry I yelled at you, Alistair. I know I was upset but it was no excuse to tell you what I did."

"It's fine. But why are you crying? I gently touched my face, that up until now I hadn't realized was flooded with tears. I simply wiped my face with a tissue and left it at that.

" So, do you have any plans today?" I diverted, switching the topic.

" No..." He murmured as he sat quietly eating his lemon flavored shaved ice.

The silence was almost killing me. Maybe he was fine with it, but I wasn't. I knew we weren't much to each other but it seemed as if he was slowly sucking away the peaceful atmosphere without talking. " Your face isn't hurting anymore, is it?" Something about his sudden speech threw me off. I looked into my milkshake.

"It's still.. it still hurts in some places."

" If only I had gotten to you sooner." I heard in my head. Holy fuck! That was his connection to me! I don't think he was intentionally using it, but it meant a lot that those were the words he meant to say the most. He ate his shaved ice and things returned to normal quietness.

I wasn't staying at my coven at the moment, so I would have to wait to be healed. But it wasn't that serious to me, I'd tough through it like I've always done.

My fingers were cold, touching the glass at the base of my drink. It luckily wasn't too sweet and everything about it was smooth yet icy, creamy yet freezing cold. On a hot day like today, this was needed. " Hey, do you have any friends?" I asked, not wanting to be invasive, just wondering. " No." He stated plainly. " And if you're concerned, you shouldn't be." That was that. He didn't seem like the type to make small talk either, I didn't know why I was pushing it, so I just stayed silent.

.
.

Alistair P.O.V

The dream I had the night before was when I started to feel. " Goddess, no..." I begged her not to. What she planned was as cruel as it could get " Its final. Once you've gotten a taste of it... Of love and of feeling... Your wish will come true."

On my knees I begged her to not take Naehyun away from me. Because for once I started to care. I thought I cared by trying to kill her. By being so mean that she would have no choice but to hate me in return... But it was all for nothing because even as I cursed her and insulted her ruthlessly, there was nothing but love seeping from her.

" It's been sealed by a blood oath. Oh well. Enjoy the show then, Alistair." The goddess shrugged, walking away from me. Her long fluffy pink hair and rose quartz eyes were sweet but so callous and ruthless for her to really do this to me. My vision watered and it felt as though there was a ripple in my head.

" Kill her!" My father voice screamed in my ear. " Unless you're really as weak as I thought. My hands shook and I felt my heart in my ears. His voice, his name and all of my memories of him were enough for me to return to the snivelling and weak state I'd done so much to distance myself from.

A gun in my hand and Naehyun on the floor all bloodied and beaten. The gun shook in my hand as each breath hurt more and more. I was 15... But none of this happened. I turned the gun on myself and ended up shooting myself.

I woke up in a sweat. Why did I stay? Why, no matter how hard I tried to stay away from her, did I keep on running back? She was right, inevitably.

But my eyes opened. I could see Naehyun... Sense her almost in my visions. She was on the floor, shaking. Her blanket was over her as I heard her stifled cries at night. In all honesty, I wanted her to stop crying. I wanted her to live a happy life without me. It would be much better for her.

Her frail body stayed as still as possible. I was her biggest fear now. That was no mistake. And could you blame her?

" Die then." The goddess whispered in my ear. And for once...I was fearful. The nightmares grew more frequent and