Part 12

(Naruto)

We run through the trees, my anger building with every stride. I haven't known Rin very long, but she's still my sister, and more importantly, my friend. Like hell I'm gonna let someone have her. We'd already had to sit in a boat for hours, and we're on the mountain path.

"Naruto, wait!" Sakura cries from behind me. "I know you want to get to Rin, but we have to store our energy!"

"Every second we waste here is a second Rin could be in danger! I'm not just gonna sit around!"

"She's right, Naruto" Kakashi sensei said "we need to rest if we want to fight her kidnappers. Not just anyone could capture Rin, you know. Let's take a quick break."

I growl as I jump to the ground and jog over to the others. "Rin could be in pain right now! For all we know, she could be dead! I haven't heard from her in hours! What would you do if we got there and she was dead because we decided to take a break?"

"Naruto, we know you're worried. We are too. But if we want to be strong enough to take her back we have to rest."

I pace grouchily back and forth and try to talk to Rin again.

Rin? Can you hear me? If you can hear me, we're almost there. Wait for me Rin, I'm coming.

Nothing. Not even a word. I'm gonna beat the shit out of the bastard that took her!

It's getting late. The sun's gone down everyone but sauske, who is on watch, is asleep. Here's my chance.

"Hey sauske, I think I see a pair of eyes over there." I point in a random direction. He looked over at where I'm pointing and I sprint the opposite way. I'm so close, there's no way I'm just going to sit here.

Hold on, Rin, I'm almost there.

(Sauske)

I may have turned around, but that doesn't mean I didn't see Naruto leave. I'll wait a while, for all I know, he went to pee or this is some dumb prank. But after 20 minutes and no return, I know he really left. So I wake up kakashi.

"Huh? Sauske, what happened? Or is it my watch?"

"Naruto left"

"What? When?"

"20 minutes ago"

"What? Why didn't you wake me up sooner?"

"Hn". In hein sight, I probably could've guessed that naruto wasn't going to pee.

Kakashi woke Sakura and we set off after naruto.

(Rin)

"Rin"

My eyes shot open. A blurry figure stood over me, causing me to panic and pin it to the ground. By the time we were on the ground, my eyes had adjusted.

"N-naruto? Naruto!"

"Rin!" He hugged me, but only briefly. I pushed him back slightly.

"Naruto, you have to leave."

"What?"

I was relieved to see him, but if Hashimi came... we'd both be in danger. I can't leave. Naruto can. He has to get away.

"Naruto, it's a long story, but you have to leave. Now."

"No. Rin, I'm not going to just leave you. Come on, let's go!"

"Naruto- " I was cut off. By a scream. My scream. Pain filled every pore in my body, which was becoming less and less suprising, but the pain never lessens. I fell to the ground, sputtering and gagging.

"Rin!" Naruto shouted, scooping me up into his arms, which, though it was a nice gesture, forced out another uncontainable scream.

"Tsk, tsk. Rin, you know better than to have visitors without permission."

I scowled the best I could, and Naruto barked "you bastard! What did you do to her?!"

"Oh, not half of what I'm going to do to you."

Then, I did something stupid. Really stupid, actually. I got up through the pain, grabbed naruto, and jumped out the window. The window that was 3 feet from a cliff. And guess what? We fell.

(Sakura)

Stupid Naruto. Who does he think he is just taking off like that? We want to get Rin back, too, but I didn't just run off on my own! I guess I can understand, though. Rin is his sister.

Suddenly, I heard glass shattering. We all froze, looking in the direction it came from. Maybe four training-area lengths away, a boy in orange fell, along with a girl in black.

"Naruto! Rin!" My voice jumped out of me. I feel the tears welling already. "Kakashi! Sauske! Do something!" Both sauske and kakashi ran in that direction, but it was clear neither of them would make it in time. Not even close. All we could do was watch them plummet.

(Rin)

A jutsu. I need a jutsu. Any jutsu. The ground is getting closer. Naruto will die if I don't use a jutsu. I have to. Any jutsu.

I did the first few hand signs that came to my hands. It felt natural, even though I'd never used this in my life. I sent my chakra through my body, and the pain I had been in doubled, but I felt something changing. I knew immediately that it was the kuroshi.

I caught naruto, who grabbed onto my back, then used my chakra to cling to the face of the cliff. My larger body let naruto get a good grip, but I nearly passed out from the pain, running on only adrenaline.

My new form was basically a big cat, as far as I can tell. I'm all back, but the end of my tail and paws have a yellow glow with green and yellow specks going further up.

"Rin, are you okay?!?" Naruto shouts. I can't believe it. I just turned into a huge freaking cat and the first thing he's worried about is my well-being? I really do have the best brother in the world. "What happened?"

I try to talk, but only a dull roar comes out. So instead, I use Kuroshi zen.

We have bigger things to worry about right now, naruto. Hurry up and get off my back, now. Here they come.

"Oh! Yea." He steps onto a foothold in the cliff. Hashimi's minions come at us, but a blur of silver saves us. Kakashi's here.

I can't take anymore. The pain of all this is too much. Black spots cover the edge of my vision. My chakra depletes and I let go. Naruto is safe.

And I'm falling alone.