Part 24 What the future holds

I'm Sorry! I haven't updated in forever! I've had a little writers block and I'm trying really hard to come up with good ideas for later chapters, so I'll try hard to focus a bit on what's happening right now. But I can tell you, big things are going to happen! As promised, I've had another thousand views, so this dedication goes to my friend Lucia, who's put up with hours of rambling ideas from me and helped give feedback on the story. I'd also like to give a shout out to mimijeems for all the comments, relative or not. Anyway, enjoy the overdue chapter! Happy readings!

~+~

Luckily, because it was so late at night when I was summoned, no one had enough time to notice that I was missing from my cell. I sighed with relief, and soon lost myself in my thoughts. I thought about the boar, and its possible connection to me or my family. Was he part of my family? He had to be, if he had the two Kuroshi.

I almost tell Naruto about it through the Kuroshi, but I don't because of the whole punishment situation. I was supposed to be in my cell at the time, and I have a feeling he wouldn't like the fact that I was summoned at a weird time. Still, I had to meet with the boar ASAP.

My time in that cell dragged on, each second seeming longer than the last as my thoughts settled down. Still, time ticked by and my 24-hour lock-down was coming to an end. By the time I had only a half hour remaining, my thoughts had drifted to the future and what was to become of me here at the hidden leaf. I wondered if I'd stay here forever, or more, if I could. Still, I want to stay.

Suddenly, my field of vision flashed black, and I was no longer in the cell. I was in a forest. I began to panic, not knowing what this was, but there was an intense pain on my shoulder. I looked around. Kiba was there, fighting hard, glancing back at something on the ground out of my sight. Akamaru was helping his master, trying desperately to fight something I couldn't see, except for a long yellow/gold tail. My line of vision was blocked by trees and brush.

I tried to call out to him, but there were no words. All of the sudden, Naruto came out of nowhere and started fighting too, and then Sauske. All three fought the thing I couldn't quite see, while sakura, who'd shown up sometime while they were fighting, knelt on the ground by where Kiba kept glancing.

All three fighting kept getting cut on their hands, arms and faces, but as far as I could tell, there weren't any serious injuries. Finally, whatever they were fighting gave up and ran. Kiba yelled something and ran to sakura, followed quickly by Naruto and Sauske. I moved to get a better view of what they were all surrounding.

It was me. I was on the ground, bloody and bruised, nearly unconscious or worse. I was covered in blood and dirt and yelling something, violently coughing and sputtering.

And then my body went limp.

~+~

I suddenly snap back to reality, back into my cell in the prison. A tear falls down my face. What was that? Was that some sort of vision?

Was it real?

I suddenly remember mount Durstead and Hashimi Shekeku. I remember that killing a Shekeku allows you to gain their power, and I did kill Hashimi. Was what I just saw a vision into the future? I can only hope that it's some weird mental breakdown and I'm slowly going insane, because the thought of that future hurts.

My body shakes and by breathing quivers as I think of what I just saw. Still, I hold in my cries and sick feeling. I... I think I just saw my death. Or at least, I looked dead.

"Let's go" A man's voice shook me from my thoughts. I looked up and saw a Jonin standing before me. He was staring at me impatiently, like he had better things to do, and he probably did. So, I quickly collected myself and looked at him.

"Where are we going?" I asked, hoping I didn't sound deflated.

He sighted heavily. "It's time to let you out, like I just said."

Oh, I guess he showed up when I wasn't paying attention and said something. So we walked in silence, myself being lost once again in my thoughts. When we got outside, I was expecting to see Naruto there, waiting for me like he said he would be.

'I'll be right here when you get out' or something like that. But he wasn't. I release a slight sigh of disappointment. I guess it's not that big of a deal, it's not like he directly said that he'd be here to walk me home or anything, I was just expecting it. It's fine that's he's not here, I was just over-expecting.

I walked home in silence, thinking about my experience and what it could mean. It could be a representation. The yellow-tailed beast could represent some fear of mine or something. Or maybe it was just a dream I got lost in.

*It was no dream, Rin* Ninko speaks, startling me.

*Ninko! Did you see it too?*

*No, afraid not, but by your thoughts, I get a pretty good idea of what happened. I would have known if that were a dream, but you just suddenly began to, for lack of a better term, freak out. I do believe that we are witnessing the dawn if a new Kuroshi for you. Kuroshi Dai.*

Kuroshi Dai. The side effects to that were loss of vision, which means that now, I will eventually not be able to control when I'm in my other form, I'll always hear thoughts of others, whether or not I want to, and I'll lose my sight. It sickens me to my stomach thinking about it.

It was just beginning to get dark now, so I begin the walk home, but the thought of all my side-effects coming to greet me never escapes my mind. The walk is long and quiet, and lonely. I honestly thought Naruto would be there when I got out. I guess I'm just far overestimating my importance.

I turn my key in the lock of the house door and push it open. It's dark in the apartment, but warm. I flick the lights on, but as I do, people suddenly shoot up everywhere, startling me.

"Surprise! Happy birthday Rin!" They shout simultaneously. As I look around, I see many familiar faces, smiling back. Naruto, sakura, sauske, Kiba, Ino, Shikamaru, and that Hinata girl are all there, and I also see some people that I know, but not very well. Those would be Chojii and the creepy kid that I think is named Sho or something like that.

"Birth-day?" I murmur, trying to make sense of all the people in my house. "But... I don't have a birthday."

"Hehe, now you do." Naruto said, smiling like crazy. "Remember when you told me you didn't have a birthday? Well, I decided I'd make one for you. Sorry we don't have a cake, though. Chojii ate it all."

"If you didn't want it eaten, you shouldn't have left it somewhere so obvious."

"It was in a box, tied up, in the fridge!" Naruto yelled, making everyone laugh. I looked around. There was a white "happy birthday" banner with pink lettering hanging from the ceiling, and balloons littered around the room. Streamers were all about along walls, doorways, and other odd places. I think I caught a glimpse of Jynx, but she was gone suddenly, probably to get away from the noise.

It was a lot to look at all at once. I must've had a pretty strange look on my face trying to see it all at once. Kiba walked up to me as others mingled.

"Are you okay? You look kinda sick." He said.

"Yeah, it's just... Well, I've never seen anything like this before. It's so... Amazing." A smile makes it's way across my face as I speak, getting wider with every word.

Kiba just stares at me for a minute, but soon smiles back. "You look good with a smile!" He says, making me blush a bit. He pushes me toward the party, smiling and laughing with everyone there.

That night, it was easy to forget about everything going on. And it felt good to have a little break from it. But things were about to get serious, and little did I know just how serious it would be.