Part 17 Poison and hospital talk

Although I agreed to go back to the hospital, there was no way I was going to fall asleep. Sleep meant nightmares. So I forced myself to do things to keep me up, like screams and stabbing my wound with my fingers. Pain was good. Pain meant I stay awake.

It took over an hour and a half for bull to make it to the gates. By the time we got there, the poison was everywhere and my mind was going a mile a minute.

Bull dropped me off at the gate. I guess he takes the instructions "take her to the village" literally, because we were to exactly one foot inside the gate when he dropped me. Then he took off running back toward kakashi.

"Did you see that, izumo? Wasn't that one of kakashi's dogs?" It must be one of the gate gaurds talking, but by now my vision is far too blurry to tell.

"Kotetsu, there's a collapsed Genin on the ground!" There was more commotion, but I couldn't hear it. My senses all seemed blurred and fuzzy. The next thing I remember is being on a stretcher at the hospital. There were nurses and doctors swirling around my line of vision, lots of lights flying past overhead, and different noises like beeps and voices echoing inside my head.

The doctor tried to put a tube for the anestetics.

"No!" I shouted and pushed it away "No sleep! Nightmares! Murder! No sleep! No! P-please. I can take pain. Just no sleep."

He tried again, but I just pushed him away. I'm not going to sleep. I'd rather die than sleep. He looked irritated, but took me to my room. A sharp pain jolted through my body and I mistakenly let a scream slip through me.

My body is just begging for a rest, but I won't let the poison get the better of me. I had to suck it up and deal with it. No sleeping for me.

~+~

(Third person POV)

The hokage was sitting in his office, quietly doing paperwork. For his field of work, it had been a pretty slow day. The only real event was a group of Anbu coming back from a mission, and even that wasn't exciting. Not that he minded the slow day. In fact, he enjoyed days like this.

The hokage sensed a presence going down the hall toward his office. He recognized it as a nurse from konohas hospital. She was walking quickly, really more of a slow run.
To his surprise, she didn't even bother knocking, she just burst through the door.

"Lord..hokage.." She staggered between breaths. "One of..the..Genin..from kakashi's team..was found poisoned..at the gate...Rin" She swallowed and continued less breathily. "She refuses to take any anestetics, and we don't have a guardian to allow is to make her. She kept screaming about nightmares. My lord, what do we do? The only one who could possibly convince her is Naruto, and he's away on a mission."

The hokage sat weighing his options. He can't make Naruto come back in time. He could make her, but she would surely hold a grudge against him. Her safety is more important, but if she's that set on it, she may never take his orders willingly.

"Tell anyone she may be close to to the hospital to try and convince her. Anyone she has been seen having full casual conversations with, like close classmates. If she isn't convinced, force her to take it, but we should make her take it willingly if possible."

The nurse nodded. "Yes, my lord".

Rin is poisoned, the hokage thought, so how safe is this mission really? It may just have been bandits, but for some reason the hokage couldn't push the idea of it being something bigger out of his head.

Rin sure had a knack for finding trouble, didn't she?

(Rin POV)

Screams came out more frequently now. At first, the only thing the poison really did was numb my senses, but now it's like needles piercing every pore of my body, over and over. I staggered for breath as I arched my back away from the bed in a desperate but futile attempt to nullify the pain.

"Rin!"

(Kiba POV)

I could hear the screams before I even stepped foot into the hospital. I knew it was Rin, and I knew I had to get to her. I don't know what it is, but every time I hear her scream it makes me want to scream, too. I had to get to Rin.

As soon as I had learned what had happened, I came sprinting to the hospital. I didn't hesitate coming in, I just followed her screams.

When I got there, ino was already beside her, trying her best to calm Rin down. I could see tears in the corners of her eyes as she looked at me, and I knew she didn't know what to do. So I walked over to Rin and started talking.

"Rin, it's okay. Calm down. You have to go to sleep so we can take the pain away."

"Ki...ba?" She said between heavy breaths that made my heart ache. "I...can't sleep...the...nightmares...will come."

"The nightmares?" I wanted so badly to tell her how much of a nightmare this was for me, to tell her everything would be okay and that I could take the nightmares away, but I couldn't. We've only spoken a handful of times and I didn't want to give her any false hope. So I said the only thing I knew for sure. "Rin, sleep and I promise I will stay here and fend them off the best I can with you." I gently grabbed her hand.

She was quiet for a moment, other that struggled breaths.

"Promise...ki...ba?"

"I promise. I will be right here when you wake up."

Then, as she fell from an arched, pained position into a peaceful sleep, I could've sworn I saw her smile.