🔥Chapter 1🔥

"Gosh, I'm late..." Roman mutters, running to school as quickly as he could. It didn't help much that his first class was science, and they were doing a lab experiment today.

Thankfully, he sat down just as the bell rang, completely out of breath. Logan, his classmate and friend, shook his head a little. "You need to set an alarm so you wake up sooner." he says.
"I do set alarms! The problem is I sleep through them..." Roman whispered back. Logan sighs, looking forward when class started.

"Alright, you need to find a partner for the lab today, and I'm going to trust you guys to find your own. Don't make me regret that choice." The teacher says. Roman looks at Logan.
"... Don't make a fool of yourself, please." Logan says, standing up and walking to the lab, Roman following.

~~~

"Ugh, I can't get this fire thingy to start.." Roman mutters. "Perhaps you're not using the flint tool right." Logan responds, busy measuring something for their experiment.
"Well why don't you light this damn thing then?!" Roman huffs, pointing at the bowtorch. Suddenly, it lit, making Roman jump and look at it.

Logan looks as well, a little surprised. "You say, as you light it successfully." he says. "I didn't do a damn thing, it just- lit up!" Roman responds.
Logan set the measuring glass down and grabbed Roman's hand, putting it by the fire. "What the hell are you-! .... .... ????" Roman starts, cutting off when he couldn't feel the fire whatsoever.

"Interesting, I thought so." Logan says, letting go of Roman's hand and picking the measuring glass back up. Roman was thoroughly confused. "What- why couldn't I-?"
"Pyrokinesis." Logan says nonchalantly. That only confused Roman further. "Pyro-who-what-now?" Logan sighs. "Fire power. You have fire power. Ergo, your body is immune to the burn of the flames."

".... Huh... Wait how are you so all-knowing of this magic stuff-?" Roman asks. Logan looks at him, picking up a cup of dirt. "I'm a gaiakinetic. Earth bender, if you will." he says, pulling the dirt out with his power, forming it into a ball before putting it back in.

"... What if I wasn't? You could have burned me!" Roman says, crossing his arms. "I would not, because you would flinch before your hand even got to the fire." Logan responds, cleaning up their work space as the bell was about to ring.

"So... Do the others have powers too?" Roman asks, helping him clean up then walking back to grab his bookbag. "If by others you mean our friends, then yes. Patton is an aerokinetic, and Virgil is an hydrokinetic."
"Scientific words I don't understand." Roman says. Logan sighs heavily, leaving when the bell rings. "Air and Water. Study your root words.. Jesus.."

Roman huffs. "No need to be rude, Microsoft Nerd." he mutters.

~~~

At lunch time, Patton, Roman, Virgil, and Logan were all sitting at a table together.

"Wait, seriously? You only just found out about your magic? Dude, I learned when I was like, 9-" Virgil says. "Oh shut up, emo, point is I have it." Roman says, huffing.

"Now, guys, let's not fight okay? So Roman was a little late finding his magic, that's fine! Thomas doesn't have powers; it's not something everyone can do." Patton says.
"By the way, where is Thomas? I haven't seen him all day." Roman says. "Thomas is out of school because he got sick with the flu. It is that time of year, you know." Logan tells them.

"Poor guy, that has to suck. I remember having the flu a few times, and I was miserable.." Patton says. "Yeah, but it gave me a reason to not go to school, so.. I dunno, I kinda liked it?" Virgil mumbles, poking at his food.
"Education is important, Virgil, don't speak like that." Logan chided him. Virgil held his hands up in surrender. "It's not school itself I wanted away from, it's all the people I don't really know or like. I'm an introvert, remember?"

"An introvert that somehow made friends with an extrovert, a dad friend, and a mom friend-" Roman says. "Did you just call me a fucking mom, Roman? Because I swear to all things homosexual-" Logan says.
"Woah! Okay, guys, let's chill out here okay?" Patton says, putting his hands between Roman and Logan. Roman huffs and finishes his breakfast.

"So where do you guys wanna hang out today?" Virgil asks. "My place will work! I live alone, but if anyone else has a suggestion?" Patton offers. "Sounds cool to me." Virgil responds. "Alright, Patton's house it is." Roman says. Logan only nods, finishing his food as well.

"Alrighty! I'll make snacks for everyone!" Patton says, getting up to dump his tray.

~~~

Once everyone was at Patton's house- having brought pajamas because let's be honest, it's going to be a sleepover- they all sat down in the living room.

"Alrighty! Now that Roman has his powers, why don't we see what they can do?" Patton says. "But it's fire, Pat- I don't wanna burn anything-" Roman says.

"It's cool. I've got water powers, I won't let that happen." Virgil responds. "Okay, well uhhh.. What do you want me to do with it?"
"Try... Lighting a candle to start." Patton says, setting a candle on the coffee table. Roman looks at the candle, holding his finger up. Sure enough, a small flame appeared on the top of his finger, and he swirled it around, being fascinated by it.

"Roman, the candle." Virgil says. "Oh right, sorry-" Roman says, flicking the small flame towards the candle, lighting it. "Hah! I did it, that's super cool-" Roman cheers.

"Good job, Ro!" Patton says, smiling. "This is going to be so much fun- what would happen if we mixed them-?" Roman asks.

"Theoretically, fire and air would just cause a bigger fire, water and fire would make steam, and earth and fire would make magma. Other combinations would be air and earth, which would presumably make dust, earth and water, which would be mud, and water and air, which would make a storm." Logan says.

"Jeez, how often do you think about this?" Virgil asks. "Not often at all; I simply used common sense and educational guesses." Logan responded.

"Wow.. Magic is cool..." Roman mutters, smiling.