ch. 1

It was a normal day for me. Except it really wasn't. I was finally returning home from my two year long vacation/work-trip. I lived in the Western Air Temple to master airbending on my own. My dad thought it would be better for me being away from the loudness of Republic City, and I agreed. But now, I am home. Back into the loudness, back where I feel I belong.

My ship arrived at the dock, the sun warming my body. I could hear Meelo's excitement from the dock to where I was on the ship. He's still as excited as ever, that's comforting. When I stepped onto the dock, I was greeted by three little gremlins, Meelo, Ikki, and Jinora.

"Oh my gosh! You guys have gotten so big!" I exclaimed as my three little siblings hugged me tightly. I missed this with them. Being the oldest of the four— fifth one incoming— I've always been there for them. It was hard when I left. At least, that's what my dad told me. For the first few weeks, I wanted to go back at least thirty times. It was rough.

Meelo crawled up to sit on my shoulders. "We've missed you, Jay," Meelo says. Jay is my nickname, short for Jinpa.

"I've missed you, too," I replied, reveling in the hugs I was gifted from them.

Jinora and Ikki let me go, allowing me to see my mom approach us on the wood platform. Me and my mom looked very similar. Same hair, same eyes, same everything. Except height. I'm taller than her, only by a little.

"Mom!" I exclaimed. I grabbed Meelo off my shoulders and placed him on the ground next to his other sisters.

"My baby!" She said with the same amount of excitement and emotion. I wrapped my arms around her, remembering her warmth and motherly embrace almost immediately. "How are you, darling?"

"I'm good. How about you? How's the baby?" I asked, pulling away to look at her enlarged belly. While I was away, she got pregnant with her fifth, and hopefully final kid.

"We're alright," she replied, her smile growing wider as she placed a hand on her stomach. "I'm just happy all my kids are in the same place again." With her free hand, she caressed my cheek gently.

"I'm happy, too," I said, nuzzling my face further into her hand. I sent her a smile before looking around in confusion. "Where's dad?"

"Training area," she answered straightforwardly.

"Can I go see him?" I asked, not wanting to leave her the minute I returned without knowing she was okay with it.

"Of course, honey," she answered, keeping that warm smile on her face. I gave her one last hug before being to walk through my humble, childhood home.

"I'm going with!" Meelo jumped onto my back once again after he shouted his demanding statement. Ikki grabbed my free hand, and Jinora walked by us normally as if I never left.

"Us too!" Ikki added to Meelo's statement, her speed still in her words even with the little amount she spoke.

"Let's go, I guess," I said with a shrug. I started walking with Meelo on my back, Ikki attached to my hand, and Jinora at my free side.

Everything felt exactly the same as when I left. The walls were the same colors, the floor was still stiff and strong, the doors still looked the same. And best of all, Meelo, Ikki, and Jinora we're the same, too. They were still them, just two years older. That was one of my worst fears while I was away. Up until I left, I was there for every single moment of their lives. Every word, every stumbling step, every interest; I was there. I was afraid I'd miss so much. I know I missed stuff, that's inevitable, but they are still them.

My thoughts came to an end when we reached the training area. That was all the same, too. I could feel my body become familiar with that dread morning feeling of meditating with my dad for hours on end. I hated those days when I was in them, but I surprisingly missed them while I was away.