ch. 9

Later that night, Korra dragged me out of my bed to met with my aunt Lin and my dad. My questions did anything, but stop. They just grew and grew until I was almost itching in curiosity.

"So, you think Mr. Sato manufactured those gloves for the Equalists then framed Cabbage Corp?" My dad questioned Korra, not entirely believing her.

"Wait, that's what's happening?" I added, looking over at Korra with disbelief myself.

"That's a bold accusation, but what proof do you have?" Lin asked.

"Well, I don't exactly have proof, but I know what I heard. Sato's up to something," Korra said.

"He does have the means and he has a motive," Lin responded.

"That's right," my dad added.

"A motive? What is it?" Korra asks curiously.

"Twelve years ago, the Agni Kai Triad robbed Sato's mansion. A firebender killed Sato's wife during the break in," my dad explained.

"That's terrible," Korra commented, growing saddened by the thought.

"I remember how upset Asami and Mr. Sato was," I said solemnly. "But this is Mr. Sato we're talking about. I'm a bender and I've been best friends with his daughter for years. And-and he just let Mako and Bolin— benders, by the way— move in with him."

"What happened was tragic. It's possible that he's been harboring anti-bending sentiment all this time," my dad tried to reason against him.

"Maybe we should look at Mr. Sato a little more closely," Lin says.

"What do we do if we're right? What about Asami?" I ask. Korra seemed a little mad at my question, but quickly shook it off.

"We'll have to arrest him for equalist activity. And about Asami, I don't know," Lin said, walking away afterwards.

We traveled to the Sato estate, much to my dismay. I know Hiroshi. I've known him for as long as I can remember. He's always been kind to me. He's taught me things about the modern world that's progressing more and more. Things my dad refuses to learn himself. This feels like a gross betrayal. I hate this.

Conversations fade to nothing as we walked up the large staircase to Hiroshi's office. Every step makes my body want to confine itself into a puddle of nothingness. Mako and Asami are even walking down the steps as we make our way up. I couldn't even look at her— my friend, one of my best friends. I couldn't even face her as I go with my dad to accuse her dad of heinous things. Again, I hate this.

"Mr. Sato, we just have a few follow-up questions for you," my aunt says, walking into Mr. Sato's office and standing tall in front of his desk.

Asami opens the door and walks in, ready to defend her father. I can't even blame her for this action. "My father is innocent. Just because we're not benders doesn't mean we support those awful Equalists."

Mako and Korra file in behind Asami, two people on two different sides of this accusation. Mako, obviously standing behind Asami and her father who has shown him and his brother nothing, but kindness. And Korra, the accuser.

"Equalists?" Hiroshi questions. Asami stands next to him proudly. "Is that what this is about? I can assure you I have nothing to do with those radicals."

At the temple, I was taught a lot of things. One of which is to be able ti tell if someone is being truthful. I can't do it like earthbenders can, not by any means. But, I can read people, pick up the cues not many people can. And as I'm reading Hiroshi, I sense panic. Not a lot, just a little. Panic, unexplainable panic. Either panic he's been caught, or panic that he's being accused of something he's not. I can't tell.