ch. 7

The finals approach later in the night. As the finals approached, my nerves grew like a flower. What if Amon really is planning something?Could I face him again? Could I face him again unprotected?

I answered both of those questions myself. Yes, and no. I could face Amon again, I did it the first time, right? But, without anyway to defend myself beyond my bending at a public event like that was a no-go. Instead, I grabbed something my dad does not and can not know about, my throwing knives. My Hran-Gran, being the sneaky old lady she is, gave me so many books about the ways of the Kyoshi Warriors. She said, "the world is dangerous out there, sometimes we have to be dangerous, too."

Up until now, I never had any use for the knowledge. But, Amon makes me feels like I need it. He makes me feel helpless without it. He's a total jerk for that.

When my dad found out I was going to the finals, he instructed I stay by Lin or him the entire time. I tried to argue, telling him I'm more than capable of taking care of myself, but my father is as stubborn as he is bald.

The two of use went to the arena together, finding Lin the minute we entered. We walk up to Lin in the stands as her men do a security sweep.

"How is the security sweep going?" My dad asks.

"Fine," Lin answers, quickly and bluntly.

"They've checked underneath the stands?" My dad adds.

"Yes," Lin responds in the same manner.

"And you have enough officers to cover all points of entry?"

Lin turns her head to Tenzin. "I have the skies, the bay, and every nook and cranny of this place covered." She turns her head back. "Now, leave me alone and let me do my job."

My dad speaks with a sad tone. "Lin, with so much on the line, it would be nice if we could help each other out, at least for one night."

She looks at him with a softer expression. "Like old times?"

"Like old times."

"Okay, I'll try to be less abrasive than usual," Lin says, less harshly.

"I would appreciate that." My dad smiles.

"You guys are real riveting conversationists, but are you done?" I asked from behind them. Lin grinned, pulling me under her arm.

"You're trouble, kid. How was the temple?"

"Fun." I smile tightly at her.

She laughs, "I bet."

With a loud bomb of applause and cheers from the crowd, the pro-bending finals finally begin. I tense up under Lin's arm, still feeling uneasy deep down. Lin noticed, and in response, she squeezed my shoulder, letting me out of her grasp to stand in my own bubble.

The announcer's familiar voice roars through the enclosed space, saying, "The anticipation is palpable as we are just moments away from the championship match. Will the Wolfbats' ferocity help them repeat as champs? Or will the underdog Fire Ferrets serve up a surprising bowl of smackdown soup?"

A spot light shines on the Fire Ferrets side. The ring announcer speaks once more, "Introducing the challengers, the Future Industries Fire Ferrets!" The team walks up, Pabu doing a trick on Bolin's arm. When he lands it, Bolin cheers in a way I could see from where I stood. I couldn't help but smile. "And their opponents, the three timed defending champions, the White Falls Wolfbats!"

The Wolfbats come out with this huge, elaborate entrance. It was definitely a crowd seeing as they found another octave that I didn't know existed until this very moment.