Jeffery

I had grown accustomed to the darkness within the next few months of my life. Pain no longer felt like pain to me. I couldn't feel the cold, or the cuts on my skin. My frail little body became something stronger, though who could have told? He made me stronger, and I was his friend.

He was very on edge during that time. As I stayed hidden from the view of people, he became irritable. Often he would tell me to go back to my home, to finish off killing those who had wronged me. To put an end to the bullies of my old school and the old lady who had owned the kitten. I was afraid in those times, though, and I stayed in the forests, catching whatever woodland creature I could get my hand on and tearing into it like some wild animal.

I remember it was a very hot night. I had gotten through my first winter without anyone but Teddy, and now it was summer. Now I stood in the forests with my knife in one hand, and him tucked under my arm. I was walking, but I had no where to go. Really, I just liked wandering. I walked everywhere, anywhere, with no desire to stop. I only stopped walking when it became totally necessary.

That was what I was doing now. Walking, with no desire to stop and no place to go. My feet were numb, and he was held in my hand where he hung like some lifeless doll. I wasn't thinking very much during these times. All thoughts left me, and I became a shell. I had no purpose. I was a tiny little body out in the middle of nowhere, moving, but not alive. I was not alive. Or at least, I didn't feel alive.

That is, until I heard something behind me.

I paused, looked around slowly, and clutched him in one hand and the knife in the other. Someone was out here? Why would someone be out here? Why was I out here?

I turned around, and spoke in a voice that seemed unfamiliar to me. "Hello?" I said, and lingered on the words. I hadn't really spoken to anyone but him in so long. "Is someone out there?"

"What the hell happened to you, kid?"

He came out of the shadows, taller than anyone I had ever seen. He had to have been six foot at least, with shaggy black hair and a white hoodie on. His pants were black, and he was wearing sneakers of some kind. I gaped at him, just as he did me. This man was so strange looking. No, strange was not the right word. This man was like me, I decided. And he was beautiful.

There were large scars on his face, along his mouth, and his eyes were odd looking. He was smiling permanently, eyes wide open. "I could ask you the same question," I heard myself reply, and before I knew it this man was laughing hysterically. "Is something funny?"

"No," he said suddenly, coming closer to me.

I could hear Teddy saying to me in whispers, "Don't fear him, but be cautious. He is like us, Sally."

The tall male came closer to me and finally knelt down. I could see his marred face clearly now, his smile wide, but not natural. Naturally I could see a thoughtful expression on his face. His eyes were like something I had never experienced. They were huge and blood shot as if he hadn't slept in a long time. His hair was a tangled mess. I smiled. I must have looked the same to him. "What's your name, kid?"

"Sally." The word left my mouth without hesitance. "And this is Teddy, but sometimes he prefers Charlie." I leaned in and whispered, "He gets in different moods."

The man let out another laugh and shook his head. "Well, Sally," he said, "You look like you've seen better days. Whatcha doin' with that knife, huh?"

"You never told me your name," I countered, feeling discomfort with the question. "I told you mine and his. What's yours now?"

The man's smile seemed to widen. "Jeff," he replied easily.