The Red

It's night. The rain is beating against the old tin roof harshly. It sounds like a war is going on right outside the house, but I don't mind it. I like the sound.

The fabric of my nightgown is stuck to my skin and my hair is damp. I'm soaked, but so is the raggedy little bear sitting in the corner. It stares at the room with it's pretty blue button eyes like a sentinel.

"It's late. No one but us are going to come by here tonight." My words echo in the small, empty room. It looks like it was once a bedroom, but now the only furniture in it is white curtains that have been pulled away from the window.

I sigh to myself as I walk over to the window. Of course, no one is going to be stupid enough to walk around in the middle of the woods in the pouring rain. What is he thinking? I frown and touch a bloodied scar on my face. It's from last week when we left the house. He told me we had to get away from there, or else we would get caught.

Now it's just me and him. That isn't so bad, but I don't like the fact that he's dragged us out here in the forest to wait for someone. He says we have to be patient, that it's like fishing. We have to wait for the fish to come. But I haven't seen any fish, or people.

"We should have stayed in town. There are more people in towns."

"Quiet! Someone will be coming. I know it!"

I wince when he yells. He's scary when he yells at me, which has been a lot lately. I know why, too. He misses the red. He hasn't seen the red since we took care of Mommy and Daddy, and he misses it. That's why he's so mad right now.

I'm not sure how I feel about the red. Actually, I can't remember it that well. Teddy says it's pretty, but I think it's scary.

He tells me not to be afraid, though. He tells me it is just a part of life.

"No one is coming," I mutter bitterly. He hushes me again and I huff in an irritated way. I stalk to the other corner of the room and I sit myself there.

My legs ache from scratches and bruises, and from running for so long. My belly rumbles, too. I'm so hungry and thirsty. He hasn't let me stop running since I ran away from home.

Suddenly he says, "Listen! Someone is coming near the house. Sally, go to the window."

I stand up as he tells me to. Slowly, I make my way to the window. There is a boy coming. I can't see him very well in the dark and rain, but I can see he is a little older than me and he is nearing the house. He is limping, or perhaps just struggling through the heavy sheets of rain. I know I had trouble moving.

Quickly, I back away and look at the little bear fearfully. "What do I do?" I ask with widened eyes.

"Get your knife and come here. I will tell you what I want you to do."

I scurry to pick up the big kitchen knife on the floor. The once shiny silver is now scarlet. It is the one he told me to get right before we left, the one he told me to use on them.

Suddenly, I hear a door open downstairs. The boy's footsteps move inside and he quietly shuts the door behind him.

"Quick, Sally!"

I follow his instructions. He tells me to place him in the middle of the room, and then he tells me to go hide in the hall closet until I hear the boy come in. He tells me I'll know what to do after that.

So, on light feet I run out of the room and hide myself in the closet. It's easy for me, because I'm very small and I can easily fit. Now all I can do is wait.

At first, nothing happens. All I hear is the quiet sound of the boy moving on the first floor. But then I hear him call the boy's name.

"Gregory."

Is that the boy's name? It must be, because as soon as he says it, Gregory stops moving downstairs. There's silence within the house, and then he calls again. "Gregory."

"Hello? Is somebody up there?" The boy's voice is hoarse and raspy. I think he has a cold from the rain.

For a moment it is quiet, and then I hear, "Gregory, please come up and play."

There is hesitation, and then I hear Gregory's footsteps slowing coming up the steps. "Who's there? Where are you?"

"Come up and play, Gregory. Please."

As Gregory nears the top step, I can't help myself. I peek out of the crack to look at him.

Gregory looks to be around thirteen or fourteen. I'm wondering if he came here on a camping trip and got caught in the downpour. He has shiny blue eyes and his hair is brown, and currently stuck to his head.

He passes my closet and goes towards the little empty bedroom. I'm disappointed when he passes me up. Why would he rather play with him than me? I want to play.

As he goes into the room, I quietly open the closet door and come forward. When I get to the door, he is inside and staring down at Teddy. My knife is clutched firmly in my hand.

Slowly, Gregory reaches down and picks him up. "What..."

"Don't you wanna play with me, Gregory?" I ask. He whirls around and drops the bear. His eyes widen in fear and panic.

"Who are you? How do you know my name?"

"Come and play with me," I whisper, and then I pounce at him.

I hear him scream as I tackle him. I hear his shrieks as the red comes again. He's dripping with the red, and I realize it has covered me and Teddy. He screams and kicks, but then Gregory goes still.

I stand up and look down at him. All I see is red. He was right, it is pretty. "Thanks for playing with me, Gregory," I whisper, and close my eyes.

"Very good, Sally."

"How come they don't wanna play with me?" I pout and drop my knife to pick him up. His pretty blue button eyes shine with pride for me.

"They don't love you, Sally. But don't worry. I do. I'll always play with you, Sally. Always."