flower field || texas & cali fluff

I made a oneshot book fellow children-
please don't have your standards too high because these aren't gonna be too well written so-
Also this takes place when these states were kind-of children kind-of preteens, so not much romantic stuff included
=====

"Hey slow down!"

Texas been chasing after the other boy for a good while now, and it was honestly getting pretty tiring. That was made pretty clear from the heavy breath he was doing. But even with Texas' shouting, Cali didn't slow down a bit, and just kept running.

"Either you catch up or you don't get to see it! Hurry, we're almost there!"

'That's what you said 10 minutes ago' Texas grumbled. Still, even if he couldn't run anymore, he kept following Cali. He'd been so excited to show him this place, who was he to put him down like that. Suddenly he saw him stop at the top of the small hill he'd just started climbing. Exhausted, Texas dramatically threw himself on the soft grass and stayed there.

"Drag me."

He heard Cali run down the hill and started pulling his arm to stand up.

"Get. UP! It's just right there Bonnie you can make it!" Texas smiled at the nickname, and slowly got up. He saw his companion give him an excited smile, grab him by the sleeve, and help him run up the hill. After tripping over each other's feet one too many times, they both looked over the top of the hill.

It was hard to say how much land was covered by flowers, but it was enough to stun the boy. He stared in awe over the field, and looked back at California. The look in his eyes almost stunned him as much as the poppies. He'd never seen him to happy. Gently, he took Tex's hand in his own and lead him down through a small trail of sand and dirt that no flowers covered. It led to a patch of grass in the middle of the field, big enough for the two to sit in.

"What are they called?" Texas said almost out of nowhere. He ran his fingers through the grass and flowers around the two. He could understand why Cali always stopped himself from telling anyone about the place, who would want to ruin this?

"The miners called them 'California poppies' when I asked. Ain't that fun? Named after me!" He laughed. Tex glanced at the flowers then back at Cali. California poppy.

"That name kinda suits ya. Poppy."

"Hmm, yeah..it does doesn't it? Kind of like you and your flowers. Bonnie and Poppy has a nice ring to it- hey don't pick them!"

Texas had ripped out a flower from the huge patch and pulled off a bit of the stem, much to California's dismay.

"I told you that you could only look at them Bonnie! You should listen-"

He took it in his hand and softly put it in the other boys hair, just tucked behind his ear to keep it in place.

That shut him up rather quickly, his face quickly becoming a light red. Texas fell back on the ground laughing at the sudden reaction, earning a couple hits from the former. None of them particularly hurting him anyways. They both laid their backs against the floor and stared up at the blue sky.

"I think it's only fair that I choose your nickname since you chose mine. Whatd'ya say Poppy?"

He smiled, and turned on his side to face Texas.

"Bonnie and Poppy. Wouldn't have it any other way."
.
.
.
.
.
=====

Well that was something
Idk how often imma update this book compared to my headcanon one, so I'll most likely just have this as something to do when my brains starts working n stuff
Hope y'all enjoyed the fluff bc there's probably gonna be quick a bit of angst in here-