|| a comforting mess ||

He had..complicated feelings about the statehouse, to say the least.

He didn't personally like the idea of it to begin with. It would be a great way to try and get closer to the states yes, but he had his doubts of that even working. The relationships they each had with him was strained at best, at least as far as he could tell. If he was being honest, he just assumed after awhile.

But maybe that had changed.

Everyday when DC would wake up, he would head out to go to some coffee shop and get some work down. It's not like he could get anything done in that house. Usually no one would be awake other than Georgia, who would be brewing some coffee in the kitchen, always greeting DC with the same, kind wave.

It was never much, but it was enough to at help him have a little bit of encouragement for the morning.

The worst things mostly happened when he was out.

He isn't told about everything, and he knows that. But there's always something telling him that something had gone on back at the house. Very rarely he'd get a text from someone like California to inform him on what happened. That was only if the incident was really bad though. In that case, half the statehouse accidentally ate Coco's pot brownies.

Days where he has to head over to government meetings are usually pretty rough.

Not because of the states or anything, just the people he has to deal with. You'd get tired too if you had to deal with a bunch of screaming politicians every week. Sometimes they'd even comment on the statehouse itself.

"I can't believe you have to live with them, I feel bad for you"

"They're so much below you, why bother to put up with them?"

"Why waste your energy trying to make them happy?"

Just mentally exhausting.

But despite that, he always caught himself defending the states. Wether they aimed it at a specific state or the whole bunch, he always had a reason. It was so strange.

He couldn't count of how many times he'd complained about how much chaos they'd all caused in the house. At least dozens by this point. And he's right for the most part.

But while he very loudly complained about it all, he also couldn't help but enjoy it. All the time he'd get home from a meeting and be met with a new scene.

Everyone getting snacks ready for a movie night they planned. The time the states didn't eat dinner until DC got home at 11pm. How he'd sometimes enter the house and smell an apple pie baking in the oven, presumably being made my Georgia. The sight of all the southern states laughing and playing poker at the table while everyone else watches the chaos.

Even the more messy things, like when Loui and Florida are in the midst of pulling a prank on some poor state, or Texas is chasing down Oklahoma because of some petty argument they just had.

It was all foreign to DC, having lived mostly just following orders and coming home to nothing but an empty house. It was so much different than that.

It was comforting in a way.

He loved all of it. He would never admit it to them, but he just couldn't help and smile whenever he thought about whatever awaited him when he would get home. Wether it be a nice apple pie, to a loud mess.

Maybe he did like living with these states after all.

========
Ah yes
Le quick chapter-
Idk what this is but I kind of like it ngl