|| somewhere back home ||

Hawaii is becoming a comfort character and she has less than 10 minutes of screen time-
======

"When am I going home?"

Gov was almost startled by the voice of the young girl. She'd snuck her way into the meeting room again. At least now it was when none of the other states were there. He bit his tongue and forced himself to hide his annoyance.

"Hawaii how many times do I have to say this? We don't know when you will be able to go back to your territory, I'll tell you when we get any news on the matter."

"Then why did you send Alaska back?" Gov looked down to see Hawai'i's eyes meeting his. She always did have a very distinct look in her eyes when she was this type of angry. The gaze never seemed like it belonged to someone who seemed that young.

"Wai this is all stuff that I've told you before-"

"Don't call me that."

"Yeah, whatever." He rolled his eyes.

"He's all alone again because of you."

"Do you want to have this argument again??"

"He was the only good thing about being held in this place and you took him away!"

"ENOUGH." Gov slammed his hand on the table, making Hawai'i jump back. Loud noises always made her shut up. It was awfully cruel for them to exploit that once they found out. Gov look at her again to see that angry look on her face gone. Instead being replaced with fear for his next move. His look softened.

"Now..why don't you head on back over to Mass and Maryland..they're probably looking for you outside."

Gov barley saw the girl's eyes start to water before he turned around to sort out his paperwork.

Hawai'i stood quietly, fidgeting with the flower crown she held in her hand. Tears silently dripping onto the petals every few seconds. The only real thing keeping her there was the aching feeling she had in her gut, hoping that Gov would just turn around again and comfort her, or better yet, let her go home. But it didn't matter, she knew it was never going to happen.

She hesitantly turned her back on him and made her way towards the door, clearly defeated. Gov turned back one more time to glance at her. She wiped the tears from her cheeks before gently shutting the door. A sorrowful feeling started to build in his stomach.

~

"Hawai'i!" Mary shouted. He rushed over towards the girl, Mass and PA being right behind him. They'd been looking for her for some time she assumed.

"Hun please, please don't go wandering off like that again, you gave us a heart attack." Mary sighed, just glad to see her safe. Hawai'i immediately ran right up to PA clinging onto his leg.

They all shared a confused look, before PA picked her up.

"Alright doll, lets get home now."

Home.

She was never going home.

The thought stung, but Hawai'i supposed it was better than believing the lie that the others would tell her. She didn't hold it against them in anyway, she knew they were just trying to make her feel better. They just wanted to see her smile like she use to. Before everything got so chaotic.

Hawai'i tightened her grip on PA as they walked down the streets of DC. She could barley hear Mass not so quietly ranting about how they'd lost the car..again.

She peered over Penny's shoulder, catching glimpses of the city surrounding them. She will admit, it was quite pretty at night. It carried a bittersweet sort of feeling with it. But that wasn't uncommon for things on the mainland, lots of things over here made her feel that way. But as much as she hated it, there were a few things she liked about it. She loved going with the west coast states to see the ocean over there. It gave her reassurance somehow. And how nice the other states were to her most of the time. Maybe if she tried hard enough she could forget all the meeting arguments and all the times they would threaten and say mean things about Alaska.

Okay, maybe the states gave off more of a bittersweet type of feeling.

There wasn't much good to focus on in retrospect. But that was okay. Maybe she just needed to try and forget about everything else. Even just for a little while. Just so she could get through a few more days without constantly feeling this dreaded feeling.

Just maybe.

Maryland caught her gaze, and he just so happened to look back at her too. He'd drifted away from whatever the other two were talking about, and has simply just been staring oddly at the girl. It didn't take long for him to notice the melancholy look on her face.

"Penny hon, would ya mind puttin' her down for a bit?" The state shifted his attention towards Mary, and simply compiled before going back to his conversation. Mary took Hawaii's hand, making sure to keep her close.

"You doing alright doll? You look upset."

She thought for a second. Maybe she should tell him. Out of all states, Maryland would be the less likely to judge her about this. At least from what she could tell. She simply stayed quiet, just scooting closer towards him to get just a little bit warmer. Mary could see the guilt in her eyes as they began to water again.

"Hey, don't you worry now. It's gonna be alright. We'll get to the house soon enough. And then tomorrow will be a better day, right?" He delivered the last line with a reassuring smile. It wasn't much, but it was enough to at least lift some of the worry away, and for the tears to quickly go away.

Hawai'i thought for a moment before she responded with a slight grin, "Right."

'Tomorrow will be a better day' She thought. Yeah, just maybe.

Maybe it will be.

.
.
.
Hawai'i is best girl, thank you for coming to my TED talk