My eyes widened.

Did I think he was hot? I mean, he wasn't bad looking... I was just so hyper focused on being safe in the moment that I didn't even think about the fact that maybe I was attract—

"____?!" Seiko exclaimed loudly.

I swung my head towards them shocked, "Huh?"

"Dude you were totally zoned out. You didn't hear me at all."

"Oh, my bad. Just a little tired still I guess. What did you say?" I replied, drinking more of my coffee.

"I said that sounds boring but I'm glad you did boring things. That's what you needed."

I rolled my eyes and reached for the stereo when my phone began vibrating in my pocket. I pulled it out and frowned at the contact.

Mother

"You wanna get that? I don't mind. We still have another ten minutes with traffic before we get to the hospital?" Seiko offered, seeing my phone was still ringing.

No not really, but she will just call me later and be in a bad mood if I don't answer now.

"Yeah okay, thanks."

I took a deep breath and answered the phone.

"Hey, mom."

"_____, how are you doing?" She greeted.

"I'm well, thank you. You?"

I listened carefully and tried to sense for any trace of upset tone or negative energy. Even the smallest things I could pick up with her.

"I'm doing okay. How is work? Working in the operating room yet?"  She questioned with a cheerful but fake laugh.

I exhaled quietly through my nose. Every time we talk, she brings up work. I don't remember the last time we genuinely had a conversation about something I actually like.

"No, mom. I'm not working in the O.R. yet. That's actually not something I really wan—"

"—Well don't worry dear! Your quirk is similar to mine and I got there in no time. Just keep pushing and you'll be saving lives like your mother did at your age."

I could hear her beam through the phone.

"Right."

Seiko reached over and patted my thigh.

"Well," I continued, "I actually am on my way to work now. So I better get going."

"Bye Ms.____!" Seiko called.

"Oh is Seiko there? Why didn't you tell me you were driving with them." My mother questioned, almost chastising me for no reason, "Have a lovely day Seiko! Take care of my daughter!"

"Always do!"

"Bye mom."

Before I could be stressed out anymore, I hung up the phone. Seiko glanced over at me and gave a sympathetic smile.

"I don't want to talk about it." I mumbled, slouching in my seat.

They stretched their fingers out on the steering wheel defensively, "I wasn't going to talk about that."

I looked back at them while taking a sip of my coffee, "Okay, then what?"

"I think you need to get laid."

Before I could respond I began choking on the drink out of shock. While I was coughing up a fit, Seiko began laughing.

"How long has it been? A year? Two? I think you'd be less stressed if you got railed." They said nonchalantly.

Once I could catch my breath, I spoke up in protest, "First of all, it has not been that long. Second, I'm fine! I have my trusty pink vibrator who has made me finish way better than any person has."

We pulled to a stop light and Seiko paused, hanging their head low.

"Alright. I'll do it."

"Huh?" I asked confused.

They turned to me and put their hand on my shoulder reassuringly, "I'll take one for the team. I'll sleep with you."

"Motherfucker," I scoffed, smacking their hand off my shoulder.

My hand went up to my mouth as we both went into a fit of laughter. They always knew how to cheer me up.

We were only a couple minutes away from the hospital by the time we calmed down, when I remembered something.

"Hey Seiko."

"Hmm?"

I thought for a moment, unsure how to explain but just asked anyways, "Do you know how staples work, like medically? Do you know how to apply them?"

They nodded, "Sure. I've done it a handful of times with the doc. Scary at first but once you do it it's simple."

"Can you maybe show me how?"

"Yeah definitely. Why do you want to learn how to use staples?" They asked as we pulled into the hospital parking lot.

"It's just a skill that I wish I had known before."

———

Author's Note:
The photo in the beginning of the chapter is what Seiko looks like. They have a mullet bc I said so.