FORTY TWO

Dabi's POV

"Today's the big day my friend!"

Shigaraki's crackly voice echoed throughout the car. We were parked far off on the side on the side of the road, just Tomura and I.

My body felt tense as I watched young children exit the building. Backpacks on and smiles wide, happy to be leaving school.

"Is this really the best place to do it?" I questioned, looking down at my hands.

Tomura adjusted the cap on his head and lowered himself in his seat, "Of course. He won't expect even the worst of us villains to attack at a middle school."

I exhaled heavily, seeing one kid with white hair kicking around a soccer ball on the grass.

"And why aren't you doing anything, again?" I retorted.

Shigaraki wiggled with fingers in the air, "If I have to fight, don't want any more casualties than there needs to be. Your quirk is much easier to control. We just need that one fucker dead."

The plan was to kill Gang Orca as he picked up his daughter from after school studying. Right in front of the school. Right in front of his daughter.

Shigaraki said he had to get rid of him because he was the reason our last four missions failed. He was on our tails. He needed to be out of the picture completely.

I could understand that reasoning. But I was the only person doing this job. And even worse than before, Tomura had a tight leash on me, so I had no choice.

I pulled up my hood and a pair a sunglasses, seeing a large SUV pull up to the roundabout near the front entrance of the school.

The little boy began kicking the soccer ball against the wall. He wasn't very good but he looked like he was having fun.

My chest felt tight.

"Tomura, I'm not doing this. Not here. We need to figure out another plan."

His head snapped towards me and he wrapped his hand around my forearm, just two fingers up, "You are doing this now Dabi. If you don't I swear to god I'll kill her. I'll enjoy every second of her pretty body turning to ash. I can even make it where you have to wa—"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP." I shouted and yanked my arm away, "Alright, I'll do it."

Even if I killed him right now in this car. I knew he had a backup plan for other people to kill ____ if something happened to him. He had me trapped. I had no choice.

"Good boy." He laughed.

I inhaled sharply, wanting to knock his fucking lights out.

"Remember he doesn't do well in heat, especially dry heat. So aim for his face. Worst case, use this," Tomura handed me a small handgun, "Dead. Not hurt. I'll be here waiting."

I looked over at the SUV and saw his large body standing outside the car. I got out of the passenger side and crossed the street, gun in my pants.

My palms began heating up as I walked around the back of his car.

I was about to turn the corner when I saw a young girl who looked just like him walk out the front door. Bow on top of her head.

____. I need to do this so she'll stay alive.

I shook away my hesitations and walked around the side, my arms stretched out. Almost in slow motion, we both looked at each other.

My blue flames blazed out of my hands, soaring towards the hero in front of me. The few people around us made gasping noises, and his daughter screamed.

I aimed my hands higher, remembering what Tomura said. Trying to dry him out.

I need to do this fast.

He began walking towards me, even in my flames. I panicked. He was much larger than me and could knock me out easily. I took multiple steps back but kept my flames ups, hoping it would slow him down.

"Stop it! You're going to kill him!" The little girl screamed.

For a fraction of a second _____ flashed into my mind.

I continued stepping back while Gang Orca slowly but surely walked towards me.

How is he doing this?

Suddenly a high pitched echo-y sound rang in my ears. I tried to take another step back but I couldn't.

He used his hypersonic waves to paralyze my legs.

My only choice was to increase my flames. I furrowed my eyebrows and focused all my energy on my hands.

I felt something hit my ankle.

I looked down and the soccer ball had rolled down the hill and hit me. I glanced over at the white haired kid, a terrified look in his eye. A terrified look of me and my fire. I recognized that face. Something I used to see in the mirror after my father got angry and lost control.

My heart sank.

I dropped my flames and my head drooped. I was flipped and tackled down to the ground and my chest and face was being smashed into the concrete, handcuffs swiftly hooked around my wrists. I looked over at the car Tomura was in as he began to drive away.

And I swore I almost saw a smile.

— — —

Author's Note:
Next chapter will not be in Dabi's perspective