TWENTY TWO

(Author's Note: I recommend listening to Safety Net by Ariana Grande before/during this chapter.)

Laying him down, a whirlwind of emotions washed through me.

"What am I doing." I said under my breath, sitting on the edge of my bed, looking down at him.

Seiko was too angry to hear me out. They told me to just get him out of there before anyone saw. I guessed that meant they wouldn't say anything for now.

Dabi was still unconscious and my body was tired from dragging him around so much.

My mind was exhausted too.

Who am I? The choices I made today were so unlike me.

My eyes danced over Dabi's face, taking in his features. All the beautiful patterns that laid across it.

Something about him was incredibly magnetic. My life was so boring before he showed up that one day. I was just walking aimlessly through life.

But with him I always feel like anything could happen. Adventure is around the corner, waiting for me.

The part of my brain that was constantly yelling how reckless and dangerous being around him was starting to dull more and more. I didn't care.

I didn't know what it was about him exactly, but I wanted him in my life.

Does he feel the same?

"I need to transfer your energy back." I spoke out loud.

This was the first time in years I had used my quirk reversed. I was supposed to never do that again.

I shook the thoughts away, trying to bring back my focus on the more important matter.

After lugging him around so many places, I had used most of his energy that I took earlier, so in reality I would be giving him most of mine, but I didn't mind. I could just go outside while he recovered.

I crawled across the bed over to where he was. Sighing, I laid my head on his chest and took in his scent.

I placed my palm on his chest and took a deep breath, letting my quirk kick in. I took a lot out of him so I knew this would take longer than usual.

"I hope you don't hate me." I mumbled into his hoodie.

My body suddenly got very heavy and I felt dizzy as my quirk was in action, but I saw Dabi's skin brighten and could hear his heartbeat speed up just a bit. His skin was beginning to rise to its normal overheated temperature again too.

Something I now found comfort in.

His eyes fluttered open, seeming somewhat dazed.

Leaning up on my elbows, I went to brush his hair away from his face but stopped myself, knowing he was probably very angry with me.

"Hey, Dabi? Can you hear me?"

His eyelids were heavy and he grumbled in response, "Mm... yeah."

"Are you feeling okay?" I asked in a quiet voice, feeling guilty.

He flipped over on his side away from me and buried his head into the pillow, "Gonna sleep more."

I frowned, "Uhm, yeah of course." Pausing, I stood up and began to head out of my room to give him some space, "I'll let you rest and when you're feeling better I'll make sure you're safe enough to drive home."

I was about to step out of the doorway when I heard him shuffle on the bed.

"I don't.. I don't wanna go home." He mumbled.

Looking back at him, his eyes were closed and he seemed to be falling back asleep. I smiled to myself and closed the door behind me.

I don't want you to either.

Sitting out on a chair on my little balcony, I closed my eyes and rested my head back. The warm rays of the sun beating heavy against my skin.

I had been outside for about thirty minutes taking in the sunlight. Slowly, I was starting to feel back to normal again.

My mind was still racing.

Suddenly I heard the sliding glass door behind me open. I didn't bother opening my eyes, not ready for the conversation we were about to have.

Maybe if I pretend I'm asleep he will—

Soft lips pressed to the top of my head.

My eyes shot open and looked up. From this angle he was upside down to me, but he had a soft smile on his face.

"Oh I—"

"—You're stupid." He laughed gently, falling into the seat next to me.

"I know," I looked at him guiltily, confused at his demeanor, "Do you hate me?"

Dabi scratched the back of his neck at looked out at the view, "I don't think there's anything you can do to make me hate you... But I'd prefer if you didn't use your quirk on me like that again." He turned back to me, "You're powerful, you know."

Bringing my knees up to my chest, I rested my chin on them, "I'm really sorry. It was split second decision and I wanted to—"

"—I understand why you did it." He reached over and pushed a piece of hair away from my face, "I still don't know what you did to get us out of the cop situation." He paused and looked at me very seriously, "You didn't like, suck his dick or something, right?"

I smacked his hand away, "No you idiot. I just lied and said I was taking you to the hospital."

Am impressed look washed over Dabi's face, "Wow, smart. That's my girl."

Trying to avoid feeling flustered I continued, "Seiko helped us out though."

"He-I mean, they did?" Dabi coughed.

I nodded, "They used their quirk on the police officer and knocked them out."

"Whoa, they shouldn't have done that." He chuckled.

I crossed my arms, "I'm not about to get into should-haves and should-not-haves with you, considering you're the one who commits crimes on the regular."

Dabi put his hands up in defense, "Understood."

Before we could get into it anymore, he got up from his chair and stood in front of me, bending down to take my face in his palms.

Pressing a kiss to my lips, he locked eyes with me, "I'm just glad you're okay."