christmas story pt 1

Perhaps it was the recent snowfall, or maybe the festive spirit and decorations that lit up entire storefronts, but Leorio was really feeling Christmas-y. So Christmas-y, in fact, that he decided he needed to take a stroll along Yorknews downtown district just to smile fondly at passerby's, nod wisely and ponder so as to retain a mysterious feel, like he knew something bigger. Of course the only thing on his mind was student loans and a massive melatonin hangover. Nonetheless he enjoyed his strange holiday ritual.

He enjoyed the crunchy snow beneath his feet and the snow coming down from above. It felt as though he were a scone being lightly dusted with powdered sugar and to test this theory, Leorio stuck out his tongue to catch the snowflakes. He smiled feeling an utmost feeling of joy and contentment. His heart felt heavy from happiness, for no particular reason other than the winter holidays. A large Christmas tree covered in tinsel and ornaments could be spotted peeking over the small, cutesy buildings that gave the downtown the feel of a homey village. Almost like a humongous aura, the tree sent out the smell of fresh pine trees, one many might associate with Christmas. Accompanying that, the scent of freshly baked cookies wafted out of a local bakery, attracting a crowd.

Leorio sat on a bench to watch as people passed by, bundled up in large costs and hats, often holding boxes or bags. Occasionally a family would pass by with small children bounding ahead giddily.

When Leorio was a kid, he envied his peers who got excited for Christmas. While they were met with extravagant dinners and beautiful gifts, Leorio was met with disappoint. With his mother barely being able to make ends meet and his father gone, he never had a nice Christmas until he had moved away from home. The first Christmas he had actually enjoyed was with his friends, Gon, Killua and Kurapika. It has been Gons first Christmas away from home, Killua first Christmas that wasn't way too over the top, and Kurapikas first Christmas...period. The kurta clan had their own religion but there weren't any winter holidays on their agenda. The gang had all been surprised to hear this and made sure to introduce Pika to all the traditional customs. Leorio smiled remembering Kurapika malice towards mistletoe and how he had demanded it all be removed.

That reflection was abruptly halted when Leorio phone went off.

"speak of the devil," leorio mumbled as he pressed answer to his boyfriends call. "Hey! How are you!"

"Leorio. It's been an hour." Kurapikas annoyance seeped through the audio receiver.

"An hour...?"

"An hour since you were supposed to pick us up from the airport!" Kurapikas teeth chattered, he wasn't used to the cold yet despite wearing a hat and multiple scarves.

"Oh shit! That was today! Dammit, ok i'll be there in...er... i'll be there!" Leorio stood up quickly nearly slipping on the wet pavement. He began jogging while apologizing profusely and ducking between disgruntled shoppers. He hung up after receiving forgiveness from Kurapika, Gon and Killua via the phone, though he still felt guilty. Leorio had completely forgot they were coming today. He thought it was tomorrow when he had to be picked up but he was obviously mistaken. now he had to run home, try to clean the best he could and borrow his friends car. the car he had asked to take the best day. The rambling man let off a string of curses as he dialed his mates number.

"Hi? You need something" a gruff voice answered in the end of the line. The words were incredibly slurred, fortunately since Leorio had enough experience talking to intoxicated people he could distinguish what his friend was saying.

"Ah Zepile! Drinking before noon again i see!"

Zepile groaned before heaving an irritated sigh, "what is it?"

"it turns out i mixed up the date. i need to borrow the car today!"

"fuck you. it's in the garage i'll toss you the keys from my window."

"Thank you!!"

and with that the drunk man hung up.

by the time leorio was in the car, half an hour had passed and he knew killua and kurapika would be pissed. gon wouldn't be mad so maybe he could convince them to settle down. leorio put his hope into that outcome and he speed along the highway blasting mariah carey's christmas album in a 2007 toyota prius, zepile's pride and joy. He wove through the terminals of the airship port going at speed well above what was allowed. At last, Leorio skidded to a stop in front of where everyone was supposed to be. He was met with a comical sight and had to stifle a laugh.

Gon, Killua and kurapika were all huddled up under kurapika's tunic, which he had taken off to use as a blanket. Gon, who looked to be on the verge of tears, was in his usual attire of shorts and was shaking while killua lectured him through chattering teeth, although the boy was also rubbing his arms to keep warm. Kurapika was muttering to himself and had a hand over one of his ears to block of killuas rambling and another stroking gons head. All three of them were holding each other close on the bench beside the door, garnering strange looks from bystanders. a pile of snow had gathered on kurapikas head as more started to come down. It was an odd scene indeed, but the mood completely changed when killuas ice blue eyes met leorio brown ones.

The eyes that were just squinted and frantic turned empty and cold. the albino tilted his head slightly and began to smile maliciously. "oi! old man!" he called in a smooth voice.

kurapika and gon perked up before gon decided leorios appearance wasn't important enough and rested his head back on kurapikas lap.

The kurta had to cover his eyes and reach for dark tinted sunglasses. Leorio wasn't sure if he was shaking from the cold or from fury anymore.

"it's been to hours," killua hissed hoarsely. "two. hours. in. the. freezing. cold." killua had never bore much of a resemblance to his older brother illumi, but now it was plain to see when looking into his eyes. they were whirlpools of a deep, harsh, bright blue color that caused leorio to gulp.

"knock it off killua! he's here now! let's go!" gon jumped, bursting with newfound energy.

leorio whispered a silent thank you that gons optimism had saved his ass. he picked all their luggage off the concrete sidewalk and threw it into the trunk of the compact car. he opened the doors and ushered everyone in. once they were, leorio stepped on the gas, hoping that once they left the airship port all would be forgiven.

he was mistaken, as leorio usually was.

the tension caused caused the driver to break out in a sweat, "sooo, how were the flights?"

everyone looked over at him. he could feel glares from kurapika in the passenger seat and killua right behind penetrate his head.

"i had a great flight! there were a lot of people so i didn't have much space," the black haired boy paused, losing his smile and quieting his voice, "and my teddy mito-san packed me was stolen..." gon looked down and bit his lower lip. "But the flight attendent lady was really nice!! She gave me free snacks and called me honey!!" gon resumed his playful tone as he drew out the really. he swung his legs back and forth, occasionally hitting kurapikas seat.

"how about you pika?"

kurapika looked up, his eyes a majestic scarlet, "i'm going to strangle you."

"yeah yeah we get it pika. leorio got a choking kink and as soon as we get to your apartment your gonna ditch us for the nearest holiday express inn." killua smirked.

Kurapika looked back astonished, mouth gaping. "Killua!"

The mischievous boy laughed.

"watch your moth young man." leorio glanced in the rearview mirror.

"you're lucky i've forgiven you! i could've slit your throat if i wanted to." killua unsheathed his claws in a threatening manner.

"then who'd drive you home? you and gon are too young and pikas too gay."

killua was about to respond, probably with something snarky, before the kurta interrupted mumbling, "how about let's all be quiet for a bit and enjoy each other's company," kurapika slouchedagainst the passenger door with a hand to his temple, "plus i have a killer migraine. itd be much appreciated if-"

"how about-"

"shut it!" the blond yelped.

the rest of the ride home was quiet, besides the mariah carey cd which drove everyone besides leorio insane.