Chapter 9: Dog fight

Start from the beginning

"Maybe I wanted you to catch me," he murmured, his own eyes flicking down and back up again.

"Why's that?" I wondered, moving my face a few inches closer to his. He sucked in a breath before letting out a quiet groan. The sound sent shivers down my spine.

"God- you smell good," he muttered, and I couldn't tell if he meant to say it out loud or not. "Like a wood fire... and- ocean air... and maybe a little like rosemary."

His eyes had slipped closed while he inhaled deeply, trying to decipher my scent. I felt a swell of pride at the fact that my imprint liked my scent. Stiles looked absolutely peaceful, his breathing and heart beat having slowed to the point that he could almost be sleeping. I wanted to lean down and kiss each cheek bone, each eye lid, each corner of his mouth so badly. I got a little closer but didn't touch him. He took another whiff before opening his eyes and looking at me in slight confusion.

"Why do you effect me like this?" He asked me seriously, eyes searching for an answer. His breath so close to me had my head spinning pleasantly.

What do I say? Do I tell him? I don't know if I can. But I knew I would have to eventually, and now is as good a time as any. I wanted him, in so many ways that it was completely overwhelming. Was that how he was feeling right now too?

"I-," I didn't get to say anything before we both heard Derek calling his name from the trail.

"Stiles! What are you two doing?!" He grumbled loudly, his voice getting closer.

"Oh Jesus," Stiles exclaimed, doing his best to scramble out from under me. I let my weight rest on him for a moment, smirking when he glared at me. "Paul..." he warned.

"Yes?" I asked innocently, just as Derek came into view. "Oops," I said, climbing off of Stiles and giving Derek a shit eating grin.

"What the hell?" The broody wolf demanded, glaring between us accusingly.

"Derek-," Stiles started, his eyes pleading.

"I'm not sure it's any of your business," I cut in, steeping closer to the werewolf. His eyes narrowed at me.

"I think it is," he stated, also taking a step forward.

"Guys-," Stiles groaned. We both ignored him.

"How's that?" I asked with false interest, cocking my head to the side. We were only inches apart now.

"He's pack," he growled and his eyes flashed red.

"So that makes his love life your business?" I snapped, my hands starting to shake at his obvious challenge.

"Love life? Stiles doesn't have a love life," he gritted through his teeth.

"I'm standing right here," Stiles sighed.

"I'm hoping to change that," I smirked, sending a wink towards Stiles and making him blush. Derek proceeded to growl threateningly, once again drawing my attention and making my arms shake in anger.

"Der- stop it," Stiles demanded.

"No, Stiles! He's taking advantage of you because you have no experience with this sort of thing," Derek argued, his glare still on me. So he missed the way Stiles' face fell in hurt. My heart squeezed painfully in my chest at the sight and I wanted to snap Derek in two right then.

"You know what Derek? Fuck you!" Stiles roared. Now he had his eyes as Derek stepped back in shock. "You know why I've got so little 'experience'?! Because I've been hung up on your stupid ass for 5 fucking years!"

Derek just stared silently. He went to open his mouth but Stiles didn't give him the chance.

"Don't you dare lie to me. You knew. You've always known," Stiles scoffed. "You can smell it for Christ sake."

"Stiles I-," Derek tried again.

"No! I'm not finished," he yelled. He paused for a deep breath, looking at me for a moment before continuing. "And now that a gorgeous, wonderful guy has my attention- you're throwing a fit! 'Oh no! Stiles isn't pining after me anymore! What ever shall I do?'" Stiles growled sarcastically, his voice deep and mimicking.

"Stiles... the people I love... they die. I never started anything with you because I didn't want you to get hurt," Derek defended. Stiles rolled his eyes.

"Well congratulations, you failed epically!" He glared, tears pooling in his eyes. He started stomping back to the trail just as Scott and Jared came into view.

"Hey guys what's-," Scott stopped mid sentence, his smile fading as he caught sight of his best friend. His face hardened dangerously as he glanced between Derek and I. He waited until Stiles was a little out of ear shot before starting in on us. I tried to follow Stiles, but Scott looked like he was ready to tear me to bits when I took the first step, so I decided against it.

"What happened?" The brown haired alpha demanded.

"Derek-," I started to explain, but was interrupted.

"I screwed up," Derek answered in a defeated voice. I felt a moment of pity. He obviously didn't mean to hurt Stiles, it was plain in his dejected expression. And who would? He clearly thought that what he had been doing was right. I no longer felt the need to rip him apart. He was hurting enough knowing he had damaged Stiles.

"Der..." Scott sighed gently. I had a feeling he already knew what all of this was about.

"Jared, let's take a walk," I said quietly. My best friend nodded his understanding and followed behind me.

"Paul," Derek called. I turned with an eyebrow cocked in question. "Stiles..."

"Already on it," I answered with a small nod. He returned the action before looking to the forest floor in defeat. Scott waited a moment- probably until we were a little further away- before pulling the other alpha into his arms.

"I think I'll just go for a run," Jared said with a wink. I always appreciated his ability to know when he needed to make himself scarce.

"Thank you," I gave him a small smile. He grinned back.

"Yeah yeah," he laughed, before taking off into the trees.

Again, I followed my imprints scent. I expected it to be heading back in the direction of the trail head... but instead he had turned and headed deeper into the silent forest. My heart rate picked up a little at the idea of him wandering down the trail alone, with the possibility of Victoria showing up. My feet picked up the pace as I began to panic.

On some level I knew it was ridiculous... she's after Jake. But she still has to feed. What if she's around, and she's hungry, and she stumbles upon Stiles. Who is currently alone in the woods.

And just like that I'm running full tilt after him. Without missing a beat I had my shorts off and wrapped up, tethering them to my leg before I phased. My four paws hit the ground, nose still in the air and heartbeat jackhammering in my chest. Pictures of the redheaded vampire attacking Stiles were running through my mind, my thoughts spiralling out of control quickly.

Stiles' scent grew stronger and before I knew it I was skidding to a halt in front of him, breathing heavily. But not because I was tired. No- because I was freaking out.

Stiles' eyes were huge as he surveyed my wolf form. I was calming by the second as I realized he was safe and relatively unharmed. Physically anyway. There were still fresh tear tracks running down his cheeks and I whimpered at the sight.

I padded closer to him, slowly and cautiously. I didn't want to scare him... though I suppose he's seen this before with Derek. When he didn't run away screaming, I nudged his hand with my nose, asking with my eyes if he was alright.

His fingers reacted instantly, carding through my soft, silvery fur. The action started a deep rumbling sound in my chest.

"I really hate how beautiful you are," he grumbled. But I could hear the smallest of smiles in his voice.