Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Maura wasn't at work in the morning. I got really worried and I called her but she didn't pick up her phone. So I decided to go at her house and look for her there. I rang the bell but she didn't open so I decided to use my key and just check for myself in case she was there. Maybe something had happened. I was sick and worried just by the thought that something bad could have happened to her.

"Maura!" I called, searching the house for her. Then I finally found her in her bedroom.

"Why aren't you answering your phone?" I asked a bit angrily. She looked okay so there must be a reason for her behavior because not answering your phone was a really serious matter. There was no excuse for that.

"I was in the bathroom," she answered with a raspy voice, and noticed that she didn't look like herself.

"What's going on? Are you alright?" I asked, getting near her.

"I am sick," Maura said, sniffing and then she carefully lied on the bed.

"Oh, Maura, why didn't you call me?" I asked, getting near her bed, worried to see her in that state.

"I have a flu. I am not dying."

"Are you feeling okay now? Do you need anything?" I asked, concerned. "Why didn't you call me?" I asked once again, looking expectantly at her.

"Because you don't have to take care of me, Jane. You have a job. Who else would catch killers?"

"They could wait if my friend is sick," I answered sincerely and caressed her hand. "Anything I could do for you? Did you take any pills?"

There was a long pause. And in that moment I noticed what she was wearing - a robe. I was so worried for her when I entered the room that I hadn't even noticed what she was wearing.

"Just a robe! Was she naked underneath? Focus on what is happening now, Jane. You can freak out some other time. Maybe later..."

"Well, actually I was just going to apply VapoRub to my chest and then go to bed. So would you do it for me?" she asked I didn't know what to say. Even the thought of rubbing anything on her chest was unthinkable.

"I am so screwed. How screwed from one to ten? Well, eleven! No! A hundred! How am I supposed to answer without offending her? And Maura usually gets offended pretty easily even when she's not sick. So how should I politely decline her request? Just say no? Or perhaps decline with a sarcastic joke? What should I do?" I was thinking hard but my mind was blocked. "Perhaps I should pretend that I am sick, too. It would be really easy if the ground just opens up and swallows me right now. Please God." I prayed silently as I looked upwards. But nothing happened. "No?! Okay then..."

"And would you rub my chest?" I asked as I winked at her. A sarcastic joke was the best I could come up with.

"What?" Maura looked at me, puzzled.

"I rub your chest if you rub mine. You know... like... like uh, I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine," I explained nervously to her or at least tried to explain myself but the look on her face told me she didn't get what I was saying at all. Or at least she looked that way. I just didn't know what to do next.

"Jane, is your back itching?" Maura asked with a puzzled look.

"Yep, she definitely didn't get it."

"No, Maura. It's an expression."

"So?"

"So what?" I asked but I knew what she was going to ask me. Once again.