Chapter 23

in which the girls fight

I was once again awoken by Daphne from my blissful sleep, yawning loudly. Somehow, all the other girls were already in various states of being dressed, so I had to hop to it and pull on the uniform. Daphne helped me with the tie again. Ayooooo.

Like yesterday, our group headed to the Great Hall for breakfast again, and from there it went mostly like yesterday. Until Potions.

Oh god, I wanted to slap Snape into next week. And Draco. Snape picked on Harry about forgetting some ingredient in his potions, Draco laughed along.

My mood did lift a little bit when Greg's cauldron shattered and robes lit on fire, and all of the Slytherins, including Greg himself burst out laughing.

Some classes later, I found myself in Hermione's company as we walked to Defense Against the Dark Arts.

"It's...different from Ilvermorny." I said, choosing my words carefully as to not give away that I hadn't actually been there. "Hogwarts seems bigger and...there's more house prejudice."

"You talked to Ron, didn't you." Hermione sighed as the two of us sat down. "He can be a little daft sometimes. Don't worry, he'll come around. He'll realize that your house doesn't define you."

"I certainly hope so." I grumbled. "Or he's about to catch these hands."

A hem hem sound caught my attention and I nearly let out a despairing groan. Umbridge. Pink bitch herself. Hehe, maybe I should call her Umbitch. I thought, trying to conceal a poorly hidden smirk.

"Well, good afternoon!" she said, when finally the whole class had sat down. A few people mumbled ʹgood afternoonʹ in reply.

"Tut, tut." said Professor Umbridge. "That wonʹt do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply ʺGood afternoon, Professor Umbridgeʺ. One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!"

Two minutes in and I was already tired of the old hag.

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge." They chanted back at her. Not me. I'm a bad bitch ehehe.

"There, now." said Professor Umbridge sweetly. "That wasnʹt too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please."

Much of the class grumbled about themselves but did as she said, and I pulled out my paper and a pen. Hermione, once noticing almost beamed.

"You know, most people looked at me as if I was crazy when I asked why we used quills and parchment instead of pens and paper." She whispered to me, and I grinned, shrugging my shoulders.

"Quills and parchment are hard to write with." I said, and turned back to the front, bumping Hermione's shoulder gently. Meanwhile, Umbridge had tapped the board with her wand (a very short one might I add) and words had appeared almost instantly. Defense Against the Dark Arts: A Return to Basic Principles.

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasnʹt it?" stated Professor Umbridge, turning to face the class with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. "The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry‐approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the standard we would expect to see in your OWL year."

I rolled my eyes. Many students here were probably more capable of casting a Lumos charm than her, myself included, and I had only learned it last night.

"You will be pleased to know, however, that these problems are now to be rectified. We will be following a carefully structured, theory‐centred, Ministry‐ approved course of defensive magic this year. Copy down the following, please."