Chapter 1

in which she just wanted some mac and cheese

Online school was a pain in the ass.

Seriously. Waking up at eight in the morning just to travel across the room to my desk and sit there for the next several hours? No thanks, I'd rather eat a rock.

Needing a break from school, I decided to skip my P.E class and make mac and cheese instead. And not the good stuff with real cheese, but Annie's Homegrown with cheese powder. Hey, don't judge me, I didn't have the time or patience to make actual mac and cheese.

Turning the stove on and placing a pot of water on, I waited for it to boil before opening the box and letting the macaroni fall in, fishing out the packet of cheese before I did.

"I said certified freak, seven days a week," I began to mumble under my breath, walking up the stairs with my bowl of mac and cheese.

"wet ass bleeeep, make that pull out game weak!" I finished, sitting down at my desk, shoving all my school stuff out of the way and grabbing Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

The first time I had read Harry Potter was when I was in 3rd grade, and I had just fallen in love with the fictional world.

According to Pottermore, my house is Hufflepuff, and no offense to them, I love them with all my heart, but I just can't see myself as one of them. I'm much more of a Gryffindor type. Impulsive and vulgar. Yup, that's where I belong.

Opening the first page, I began to read.

And that's when all hell broke loose.

The lights in my room began to flicker, and the papers I had out for school began to slowly float up, as if there was a strong wind in my room. They began to spin in a large circle around me, like I was in the middle of a mini paper tornado.

A roar-like noise filled my ears, and I sank down, resting my weight on my toes, clamping my hands over my ears. What the hell?!

And just like that, it all stopped. The papers gently floated to the ground, the roar cut off and the lights stopped flickering. I slowly uncovered my ears, looking around and standing up cautiously.

"Okay, what in fuck's sake was that?" I said after a moment of silence, moving towards the door. Outside my room, everything looked completely normal.

Practically sprinting down the stairs, I flung the front door open, only to see-

Okay, what the fuck. These were definitely not the rural cornfields of the Midwest that I had grown up in. This was a freaking cobblestone street, people rushing either one way or another, not a care in the world.

Heart starting to pound, I glanced around, trying to get a clue of where I was while my mind was screaming at me; What is going on?? Where the hell am I? THIS IS NOT IOWA.

Slamming the door shut, I bolted towards my sister's room, throwing the door open, and nearly bursting out laughing when I saw that she was laying on her bed, reading a book. The simplicity of the scene made me want to cry and laugh at the same time.

"What the heck are you doing in my room?" She asked, wrinkling her nose as she looked at me.

"Y-you didn't hear that? Nothing happened just now?" I asked, trying to keep my voice from shaking. The last thing I needed on my hands was a hysterical ten year old.

"No. Was I supposed to?" She asked, closing her book and sitting up.

I stared at her, almost unable to process her words.

"Hello? Are you going to answer me?" She asked, waving a hand.

"We're not in Iowa." I blurted out, hands starting to shake. "T-there was this loud noise, and the lights were flickering, and papers were flying everywhere-and I opened the front door and now we're not in Iowa."

She burst out laughing. "Okay, that's a good one. Now what is it? Is Mom home or something?"

"It's not a joke!" I said, voice raising slightly as I waved my hand. "If you don't believe me, I'll show you!"

She scoffed, pushing herself off the bed. "Okay Miss Prankster, whatever you say." She said, gesturing towards the door. "Lead the way."

"Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore." My sister said as we sat on the couch, trying to be humorous, but I could hear the crack in her voice.

"What do you think is going on?" I whispered as I wrapped an arm around her, pulling her close to me. I didn't usually hug my sister, but given what was going on, I think I could make an exception.

"You're the one that said some crazy thing happened in your room, you tell me!" She said, grasping my free hand tightly.

"It's not like I wanted this to happen!" I protested, taking a deep breath afterwards. I was the big sister, I couldn't afford to freak out.

"Here's what we're going to do. We're going to pack some clothes, and some essentials, then we're gonna go explore." I said, trying to sound upbeat. My sister, who had been on the verge of tears a minute ago, looked up at me with a bright smile, bounding up the stairs to her room, and the second I couldn't see her anymore, I slumped and and buried my face in my hands.

So let me get this straight. After some freak incident, my sister and I are somehow transported to some sort city where they use outdated cars, and I have no idea where my parents are?

Taking another deep breath and standing up, I collected myself before going to my room. I couldn't afford to crumble in these circumstances, especially if my sister depended on me.

Shoving several pairs of underwear, bras, t-shirts, leggings and jeans, and finally, sweatshirts, I zipped up the backpack and opened another pocket, shoving various things like a scarf, pens, paper, and all the money I had saved up, adding up to maybe a hundred and thirty dollars, I made my way downstairs.

I opened a drawer in the kitchen, biting my lip as I guiltily shoved an envelope of money into my bag. It was maybe five hundred dollars, an emergency cash stash my parents had.

Who knew how long we would be away from home, it was best to have as much money as we could.

My sister scampered down the stairs, smiling as her backpack bounced on her back. "I'm ready!" She said, pointing at her backpack. With whatever courage I had left, I mustered up a smile.

"That's great! Think you can fit some water into your bag too?" I asked, gesturing at the plastic bottles that were still in their plastic carry-er thing.

She nodded, and managed to fit four in before saying it would be too heavy for her to carry. I just gave her a pat on the shoulder and put six into my bag.

Slipping on our shoes and standing in front of the front door, I nearly jumped as my sister took my hand. I glanced down at her, took a deep breath and walked out of the house and onto the sidewalk.

Glancing back for another look of home, my mouth went dry and my blood ran cold when there was literally nothing there. It was as if we simply walked out of thin air.

"Blair? I'm scared." My sister whispered, and I tightened my hold on her hand.

"It'll be alright. I'll take care of you." I assured her, and together, we set off into the unknown.

A elderly man stepped back from his window, a bittersweet smile playing on his lips.

It had to be done. He thought, the glimmer of his blue eyes the last thing the window saw before he turned and left the room.